Fitting door glass - spit 1500

AlanT

Hi All.

is there any best order to rebuild doors? Totally stripped so fitting everything back in - it’s the bit of my refit after paint that I guess must be done in a certain order to get the glass in? All new seals going back.

thanks 

Get the glass in first, dropped down onto the door bottom; then fit the runners to the door and around the glass so that the glass slides up and down. Then get the glass right to the top, prop it there out of the way and fit the winder mechanism. Drop the glass down and wind the winder up until you can engage the mechanism in the sliders, then fit the door catch and lock mechanism. I think!

11 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Get the glass in first, dropped down onto the door bottom; then fit the runners to the door and around the glass so that the glass slides up and down. Then get the glass right to the top, prop it there out of the way and fit the winder mechanism. Drop the glass down and wind the winder up until you can engage the mechanism in the sliders, then fit the door catch and lock mechanism. I think!

That sounds about right, the furry door seal and outer seal last, thats the bit you swear at!!!

Lay out all the mechanism on the bench before you start so that you know where everything should go. A magnet on a telescopic radio aerial thingie is useful for all the bits that you drop into the bottom of the door and stick in the cavity wax, if any is still there. The door remote linkage is a pain as well but get the glass in first. The linkage was designed by a sadist on drugs!!

There are numerous posts on here about tools and tricks to help with fitting clips and the like.

9 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

Lay out all the mechanism on the bench before you start so that you know where everything should go. A magnet on a telescopic radio aerial thingie is useful for all the bits that you drop into the bottom of the door and stick in the cavity wax, if any is still there. The door remote linkage is a pain as well but get the glass in first. The linkage was designed by a sadist on drugs!!

There are numerous posts on here about tools and tricks to help with fitting clips and the like.

A magnetic tool for the clips, i must try that. Fed up with the number of times the clip falls off into the bottom of the door!

56 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

yes  12" of cotton saves a lot of cursing

hook to pull the clip up bit of timber and mallet to knock the seal down all together 

so you need six pairs of hands 

Pete

A bit like you nod and i hit it pete?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I took the novel approach of putting the weather seals in first, then the internals. Slid the glass in last. Only works if you’ve been able to free the glass from the channel! 
still got sore fingers though...

• Like 1