Triumph Stag

Paul Amey

Certainly looks clean and shiny. I've no real in-depth experience of Stags, nice to see what appears to be the original engine but only three things I've noticed from the photos:

The bottom of the front P/S wing and sill seems to sit inwards slightly compared to the driver's side; the bootlid is sitting up but maybe just not closed fully, and there's a strange gap to the rear of the driver's door.

As I've said I'm no expert on Stags at all but just as an interested viewer and maybe nit-picking over small things I'd check those out in person. They could be easy fixes and nothing of concern at all.

IMG_9652.jpg.80351a781e028afddfdcfa35817f37fe.jpg IMG_9663.jpg.be182fc237bb0942d8bc60a997e9449f.jpg IMG_9668.jpg.4b784a7ac5bdf5c587218c183b57e1b2.jpg

having just helped repair a stag inlet manifold gasket that filled No8 with coolant 

its not the easiest to work on the failure was probably down to a previous head gasket  , you are supposed to leave the heads loose fit the manifold in the Vee then torque the heads down   this can apply to any Vee engine but bit of a faf  compared to a straight 6 

you wont see but trailing arm bushes are the best culprit for self steering back end and the drive shaft hop coming out of a roundabout under power 

easy to replace 

Pete

It looks like a genuine MK1 that has just had a bit of a spruce up Paul. I would want to view it first as it needs the front seats repairing circa £800..... and it just lacks finishing. The boot lids tend to pop up when you are driving and are a sod to fix. Also they don't say if the auto box is ok??  I bought one 18mths ago and it's a great car but as with all Stags there is always something to do.

Tony. 

34 minutes ago, Paul Amey said:

Thanks for that, but your looking at the wrong car lol. It's a blue one near the end of the auction.. 

Thanks. PAUL. 

It's that Colin bloke causing trouble again Paul. :) The auto or the manual?

Tony.

1 hour ago, Paul Amey said:

Thanks for that, but your looking at the wrong car lol. It's a blue one near the end of the auction.. 

Thanks. PAUL. 

NOW he tells me... :( My fault, never checked the lot number. 

Is that the blue one with the hard top? Seems genuine enough, crusty arches so I'd need the bodywork well checked but panel fit is good. No reserve so could be a real bargain. That ding on the bonnet would annoy me more than anything else, tho! 

(That's what was puzzling me about the white one, too - the silver side strips have been overpainted in white)

Assuming, the Underneath is sound?. The Crusty Wheel arches are do-able. And a (part?) respray. I would give the Bonnet "ding" to one of the dent removal firms? in the first instance. Price will depend on the number of punters who turn up OR are prepared to bid online, Pray for rain?. Before CV-3 and lock-downs I used to go up there maybe a couple of time`s a year. There is a Caravan Site behind a Pub about 5 miles up the road, near Dalby Forest, of stage rallying fame.

Pete

The arches are a warning sign - there is likely to be more elsewhere once opened up.

the drivers door looks to have some warning signs of a rusty skin - but the panel gas ( as mentioned above) look ok. Under the bonnet looks generally unloved, as does the interior, but would probably clean up ok.

Paul at Stag Classics in Alton has a good reputation, so that is a positive for the engine work - the Clive Tate ZF auto conversion is very desirable, it could have been done by Clive, Favershams, EJ Ward or Paul at Stag Classics as they will all do the work. It is approx £4K to have one of them do the job.

the anoraks will point out that the pinstripes are upside down, the rear wing badges are pointing the wrong way and possibly missing a pair of cover sills.

the prices for these have changed so much since I sold mine (isn’t that always the way :) ) so I wouldn’t suggest a value - I would recommend taking a closer look at the rusty areas I mentioned earlier.

....... Andy