Installing an overdrive gearbox

Roger K

the gearbox end is plain /squared off the speedo end has the small ferule clamped on 

you can only pull/return the inner out from the speedo end of the cable 

and the outer sleeve nuts are very different diameters so you cant fit it back to front

( change can't to shouldn't be able)

Pete

The cable's actually still attached to the speedo.  When I say 'bench', I mean trying to attach it to the angle drive with the angle drive not mounted on the gearbox.

Maybe there's a difference in the cable inner length for an overdrive cable?  The one I'm trying to attach the angle drive to is the original non-o/d cable, which I left in as it's plenty long enough.  Maybe that's the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Not Really acustomed to this Forum stuff But to the guy who was thinking of moving the motor forward  That raised knoll in the frontBonnet is really tight on the valve cover

Warning Warning  If you feel your OK go for it  But -Set the Bonnet down slowly for the test!

21 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Not that im wishing my life away but only 2 3/4 years till my first pension kicks in. Not that i have plans to retire, my wife won't let me!

I'm the other extreme, been retired 3 1/2 years now and the time has just flown... no idea where I ever found time for work. However: 'Er Indoors has another twelve years to go and talks incessantly of retiring early. All I can say is: "Well, if you can afford to..." Not being smug or anything... :)

• Like 1

I counted down to retirement from week 2 of starting work, in 1979...

Retired from clinical work in 2015, and retired as NHSE adviser in 2016.  I'm now a full-time car mechanic, worked off my feet.  I've just bought a 1937 Riley, not entirely sure why...

• Like 1

well after 42 years in truck production the idiots they imported to wreck the place decided i knew too much and  i needed to go so at 57 i took the cheque and ran to freedom buying the Vitesse 6 started me on this jolly club in 2003 

there is a lot of life after  WORK !!!!

Pete

• Like 2

On 10/06/2021 at 09:05, Mathew said:

Not that im wishing my life away but only 2 3/4 years till my first pension kicks in. Not that i have plans to retire, my wife won't let me!

Don't listen to her. At the first opportunity leave a set of 11's across the work car park, I can never understand why people work a single longer than they need to.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, thescrapman said:

Don't listen to her. At the first opportunity leave a set of 11's across the work car park, I can never understand why people work a single longer than they need to.

Amen to that. Work just gets in the way of life.

I still do some work, but ONLY so I can actually live and support my Triumph habit. 

Ah, 

7 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Would be nice but i would have to sell the house to get the money i would need. Then i would not have the room to work on my cars!

Ah, don't blame the wife then! Yes, work to live, but never the other way round. This past few months I have been dragging myself to do some work that I am not liking. I keep find excuses to go and do other stuff. Luckily I am in the middle of some other work that I quite like (and pays well, bonus) but sadly the grim work is still hanging over me. Guess I should bite the bullet, get it done and move on.....

I find that my motoring decisions are getting weirder the longer I am retired.  With the GT6 still not quite done (ahem), and the XK shell back from the paintshop in a week or two, I seem to have bought a pre-war Riley special.  I may be too old to learn how to use an Armstrong preselector, time will tell.  These are definitely the busiest days of my life...  

Roger  The 1910 /17  Commers had a Lindley 3 speed pre selector gearbox  giant lever on the dash and it made a clank you could hear a long way off

the idea was if you could drive a horse you could drive a Commer    so ......its easy   if it goes wrong  think   HORSE 

Pete

I might bridle at that suggestion, but it could stirrup some trouble.  I'm not sure hoof for, though, as long as it's not me.  Let's keep things stable for now and not gallop to any conclusions that might canter act any benefit.