Colour change

Captain

I might have a contentious issue here!

I'm considering changing the colour of my Mk3 GT6 as I undertake a nut and bolt restoration.

The car was originally "Mallard blue (green)" but I really like the "Gun Metal grey" which I think was a Triumph colour that could be requested as a special when originally ordered.

I understand how many people think changing the colour would be sacrilege, but I want something with a bit more WOW factor.

Has anyone used Gunmetal grey themselves?  Do you have any photos of your car?

What are your thoughts?

Andy

Indeed, your car, and as long as it is a full respray (inside etc as well as the outer panels) it should have little if any effect on value. (unless we are talking VERY high values and perfect originality everywhere)

I would be choosing a shade I really like, Triumph or not! but be careful, some colours suit moderns but look terrible on our tiny cars. And it is not always possible to find "your" car in the colour you want to check, but generally close shades give a fair impression.

I'm in the process of choosing a colour for my GT6 given the PO painted it badly in black. I'm probably going for an original colour for originality and for the reasons Clive mentions. So I'll probably end up with primrose yellow (which was its original colour) or Valencia blue (which I quite like), but each to their own. I think gun metal grey looks good on modern cars, probably less so on classics.

I've seen a few Triumphs in Gun Metal Grey, they look OK but, I get the impression it's been done to make them look more contemporary. Surprised it's a Triumph original colour. 

Still, it's your car and if it's done properly no problem.

I prefer Triumphs in original eye watering "What the hell is that!" colours.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

My 1966 Vitesse Mk I was Gunmetal Grey from factory (now Royal Blue in poor condition). I have been trying to find pictures of cars painted Gunmetal, but it seems to be a rare color. Andy, please post some pictures here if you choose Gunmetal!

Roger.