Access to bell housing bolts that fasten to gearbox

Thanks.  Well I guess if they became very loose, there would be noise and some shaking

If, some are, sort of, not that tight, then hopefully ok to keep on driving it and keep an eye, or more like ear on it, do you think?.

I'm wondering it will stress any parts 

I had a large Iveco van that had lost one bolt from front of bell housing to engine plate. All the rest were tight. Used to vibrate a lot over 50 mph. New bolt cured it.

Edited by daverclasper

I find all the bolts on engine and box of my Vitesse seem to slacken off and its probably down to the 50 year old spring washers. It obviously doesnt help the oil leaks so I never miss an opportunity to check everything and one day will get round to replacing all those washers🤗 

spring washer and self locking nuts were the norm in the 60s  

more torque control  introduced  through the 70s had many makers testing fixings 

I was involved  many  of my years with toque to  yield tests and flats and plain nuts were the only reliable way

to maintain clamping for life 

pete

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/05/2021 at 15:48, daverclasper said:

Thanks.  Well I guess if they became very loose, there would be noise and some shaking

If, some are, sort of, not that tight, then hopefully ok to keep on driving it and keep an eye, or more like ear on it, do you think?.

I'm wondering it will stress any parts.

No time at the mo, to remove GB 

I had a large Iveco van that had lost one bolt from front of bell housing to engine plate. All the rest were tight. Used to vibrate a lot over 50 mph. New bolt cured it.

Hi. Any advice on this much appreciated?

Thanks, Dave

To put your mind to rest Dave you could periodically have a look under the car at the joint between bell housing and gearbox casing. Perhaps try a feeler gauge in there and if the gap opens up its time to take the gearbox out....

• 2 weeks later...

Well there is a drip of EP coming from the drain hole and also, from the mating joint of engine plate/bell housing at the bottom area. Did clean all the areas around there a few days ago and still clean, so assuming it's leaking from inside.

Went for a long run on a very hot day. It leaked a bit after this as hot, thin oil, though slows to a tiny drip overnight since.

Can't feel any gap with thin feeler between G.B/B.H, so thinking nothing drastic at the moment.

Won't be able to remove box for a while and need to still use car, so hoping that's ok?. Will monitor oil leak.

Thanks a lot, for all your imput.

Dave

Thanks. The box was rebuilt by Mike Papworth some years ago and is apparently a bitza, incorperating a J Type O.D.

I seem to remember a rubber seal? was fitted in the B.H, when I refited G.B.

I did top up G.B recently, so will check if overfilled, or has lost much.

Cheers Dave

Edited by daverclasper