Replacing Timber Decking with Composite

Paulfc

I’m considering replacing the timber decking I have with a composite variant. I don’t believe I have to make any changes to the timber sub-structure: so I’ll just remove the deck and lay the composite planks. Has anyone done this and if so could I ask what the pros and cons were? Overall it’s about 60sq. mtrs.

Thanks

People down my road are replacing their wooden eaves with plastic. Looks OK, but I guess the new eaves will last longer than the houses! In the same vein Paul's sub-structure will need attention long before the decking.

Doug

Try it by making up a small test area, my son built a composite rear deck and we found that it flexed a lot more when walked on than the hardwood deck so he has had to put extra support beams in, it wouldn't have failed just disconcerting when walked on. He also found the hidden plastic hold down clips were easily broken with Gorilla force.

I had a quote a couple of years ago for plastic barge boards around the house. The company was asking over £6k. We didn't bother.

As for decking, a few things come to mind, please bear in mind I have never used this and these are just random DIY type thoughts. Make sure that it doesn't go brittle with age and exposure to UV. If they have end caps for each length get plenty of spares as they will get kicked off and lost or played with by kids and pets. As mentioned, make sure that you can treat the decking support beams to reduce rotting as they age. Normal wood decking can be dangerously slippy when wet or frosty, plastic could be worse. Wood decking can be power washed, preservative treated and restrained as it ages, plastic will fade. When you treat the wooden stuff with preservative a small  amount will soak/leak through to the wooden sub structure and help and little to preserve it. Damaged wood can be repaired with filler or a repair piece let in. I don't want it to look like I have a downer on the plastic, but it is expensive and,if taken care of, the wood should last just as long, be cheaper and more practical in many ways.

The trailer I transport my racecar on had a plywood centre section, which began to rot.    I replaced it with a boarding made from recycled plastic, which has done very well.    Took the opportunity to use S/steel bolts all-round, and use lots of weld-through, zinc-rich paint where ever it looked to be needed.

Cannot rot, it's covered with a non-slip surface.   No before but here's the 'after' pic:

P1030853.JPG.3055d49c35ebe45667d7bb029d92c0e7.JPG

Looks like new!

Lots of wood substitue boards, posts, fencing etc no availavle, eg: https://www.recycledplasticbuildingmaterials.co.uk/plastic-extrusions-lumber.html   (No connection, just first on a Google search)

John

I would look at the fire compliance before fitting anything. 

Slightly different but all wooden balcony decking on apartment blocks over 18m has to be replaced with non combustable (mainly metal) to obtain an EWS A1 or 2 certificate. Without this certificate you can't sell or get a mortgage. I can see this fire certification creaping into lower rise properties. Just something to bear in mind. 

Iain 

2 hours ago, Badwolf said:

I had a quote a couple of years ago for plastic barge boards around the house. The company was asking over £6k. We didn't bother.

I'm waiting on a quote for the fascia boards, currently brown stained wood and to be replaced in brown uPVC; if it's only 6K I'd be very happy. A lot of people are advising me to do it myself as the materials are quite cheap, but from the proper Builder's Suppliers not the likes of B&Q. The garage was done this way when built and it's just wipe clean rather than repaint all the time.

I can see the appeal of similar for the patio, I can't see it being much slippier than the wood, which can be positively dangerous at times, but would the composite have any kind of tread pattern to aid grip? Round here they've replaced all of the park benches with recycled plastic seating and it seems sturdy enough.

Don't know the cost but neighbour recently had barge boards etc replaced, two men spend a day erecting scaffold which must be a big part of the cost as not allowed by H&S to do it from ladders.

Had my bungow done years ago, still looking good, clean the UPVC winows including frames with car wash and wax.

Regards

Paul

Paul - That's a great idea but not figured out how to get my windows down to the car wash!!!

As for the barge board quote, we live in a bungalow so scaffolding not needed. Could be done off a milk crate or the H&S equivalent (heavy duty car boot table perhaps??)