Hi Torque starter on a Vitesse!

Bobtaylor

Hello to all,

I have just bought a Hi Torque Starter motor for my 2L Mk1 Vitesse (through the club). I tried to fit it yesterday, but had some problems. When I first offered up the new starter I could see that the thread on the fixed stud was not long enough ( iwas too long overall but would not have tightened up as the shoulder was too long).

Assuming this was a one size fits all fitting I just used a spacer to enable me to tighten the nut. I then tried it and it spun the engine really quickly, but as soon as the engine fired there continued a loud metallic whirring noise. IT dog was not totally disengaging from the flywheel.

I assumed it would be a straight swap and I have double checked and it is the correct starter as listed for Vitesse/GT6.

What have i done wrong? Having thought about it I was wondering of there should be a spacer between the starter and engine, this would solve the problem of not enough theta and not disenaging.

HAs anyone experienced similar issues with fitting a Hi Torque starter, and what do I do to fix the problem?

Cheers Bob

Just now, Iain T said:

Hi Bob, 

The standard spacer ring is fitted with my hi torque (not the clubs) starter. The ring also correctly locates the starter. As far as I know this must be fitted with all starters. 

Iain 

That’s my experience as well , purchased from the club shop . Fitted with standard spacer but left off the shim spacer . Mk2 Vitesse 

Paul 

9 hours ago, Paul H said:

That’s my experience as well , purchased from the club shop . Fitted with standard spacer but left off the shim spacer . Mk2 Vitesse 

Paul 

Same on my GT6 Mk3. Club Shop starter fitted with the original alloy spacer but no steel shims.

Nigel

20210529_194426.jpg

• 2 weeks later...