Whiplash claims are changing

Pete Lewis

5 hours ago, Badwolf said:

She is now the hygienist at our local dentist. She is well known among the staff for inflicting pain.

True story, several years back (last century) I went to the dentist for a filling only to find my regular dentist was away that day. In comes a stunning peroxide blonde in tight black leather trousers, all sorts of leather stuff going on above the waistline and a Scandinavian accent. Lovely until she proceeded to drill without giving me and anaesthetic! I said it hurts but she just said not for long........!?!! I think she enjoyed it more than I did! 

Iain 

My dentist in Borehamwood was called Mr mystery. And why i went there was too! He was useless, but i knew the dental  nurse 😉 and she drove an inca yellow spitfire .

Until my late twenties I never had an injection for dental treatment as I rarely felt any pain. Now I am in my 70th year I make sure I am dosed up to the eyebrows before any work on my very few remaining teeth. Seems the medical profession likes inflicting pain. A few months ago I had to have a lump removed from my right ear to check for skin cancer. Went for a biopsy, the nurse injected my ear and immediately, before the anesthetic had taken effect, cut a big chunk off, hurt like crazy. 

On 01/06/2021 at 19:06, Colin Lindsay said:

As a child my first dentist was a German woman who used to shout at me to shut up whenever I complained that she was hurting me, which was quite a lot. The louder I yelled, the louder she shouted.

Everytime I hear about the Nuremberg Trials I wonder how she escaped...

German, even would spoken softly and soothingly sounds like shouting at the best of times...

Don't know about German, but try Mandarin when my Taiwanese DILaw  is talking to her family in Taichung it always sounds like a real bl**dy row but it's just the way they talk really in your face. Interestingly her grandmother doesn't speak Mandarin but only Taiwanese, 

8 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Don't know about German, but try Mandarin when my Taiwanese DILaw  is talking to her family in Taichung it always sounds like a real bl**dy row but it's just the way they talk really in your face. Interestingly her grandmother doesn't speak Mandarin but only Taiwanese, 

Back in the 70`s. On a ship with Chinese Crew. (My first experience of working with them). One night in port there was the most god awfull racket from the crew quarters, sounded like a full blown riot. Being the most senior left on board (duty engineer) I ventured down to see what the hell was going on. They where playing Mah-Jong!. It sounded like they where killing each other!!.

Pete

The French told me Americans sound like they are chewing gum all the time... When I said, the gravity makes drain from the top of their heads they laughed and laughed... then again they (liked) Jerry Lewis...

1 hour ago, DVD3500 said:

The French told me Americans sound like they are chewing gum all the time... 

Starbucks in Belfast, I ordered a croissant. The waitress was a young American female.

"You mean a cross-saint?" No, a croissant.

"Yes, a cross-saint." No, a croissant.

Eventually I just pointed and nodded.

We say potato... someone will tell us how it should be pronounced, regardless.

Ah... as a French language and literature major I get looks when pronouncing "laissez-faire" as it should be an not "lay-zay-fair" as most of my fellow countrymen do...

Pretentious? Moi?

Seriously though when I am in the US each time I have more trouble understanding people even those that speak my own "dialect".

We don't have a "strong" dialect like Geordies (the first time I met one at work I had absolutely no clue what he was saying...) but we have a few regional sayings that "outsiders" don't understand. Example: Anyone know what you find in a "sundries" aisle?

I was at a "European Café" (real name I swear) in my hometown and ordered an espresso (while hearing in my head my Milano colleague saying "you people, don't know coffee.... why do you call it espresso!? we don't even know that!"... and she said something about "shooting" I thought....

So I reckoned I misheard but given the loud music, loud air conditioner, and loud steam pumping I said: "No just a regular espresso." and she repeated "How many shots?"...

I stared like a deer in headlights.... in nearly 30 years of living in various countries in Europe no one has ever asked me about how many shots.....

So I said "What do you mean by ´shot`? What does it do? " she literally could not explain it to me... I thought the would add some chemical flavor in or something... turns out, like all franchises the amount of grounds is pre-sorted in tiny cups about a shot glass size and you can ask for a certain number of "shots" i.e. amount of grounds, i.e. how strong you want ...

Why can't they just say how do you want it?: Meek, weak, strong, forté?

Something everyone would understand...

Or maybe I am just getting old....

😄

maybe she used to work the petrol pumps and had Redex in mind

I   found  in the French truck factories the guys always seem to argue and much arm waving  was mainly 

due to they didnt have the vocabulary to express what on earth they were trying to explain 

Pete  also getting olde