Gauge of heavy brown wire

Peter Truman

Can any one please advise what gauge the thick brown wire connecting to the starter solenoid of the Mk2 Vitesse, similarly the white red ignition wire to the same solenoid.

Reason is I’ve bitten the bullet and connecting the High Torque Starter direct to the battery feed bypassing the original solenoid cause because I’m sick of catching my hand on it when fiddling around the carbs

Gary thanks for that,& Pete I’ve now got 5 solenoids spare round ones sq ones and even sq with remote buttons it just seemed tidier to remove the solenoid as it was surplus.

Its like all jobs they create more work had to remove the hi torque starter to access the spade terminal for the ignition wire to get to the starter bolts had to remove the transmission tunnel what a bummer, whilst I’m there I might heli coil the top starter bolt in the bell housing and fit a stud (threaded bar) should make life easier in fitting and removing the starter.

There’s always something to keep you busy during lockdown

3 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Can any one please advise what gauge the thick brown wire connecting to the starter solenoid of the Mk2 Vitesse, similarly the white red ignition wire to the same solenoid.

Reason is I’ve bitten the bullet and connecting the High Torque Starter direct to the battery feed bypassing the original solenoid cause because I’m sick of catching my hand on it when fiddling around the carbs

Hi Peter,

i would advise that you continue to use the original solenoid to feed the HT starter.

The original solenoid takes about 1 or 2 amps and is wired through the ignition switch. The switch can easily handle this.

The HT Starter dedicated solenoid can take a serious amount of current - possibly in the order of 20amps. (I haven't got the data sheet with me at the mo).   Found it   possibly 40amps  http://www.wosperformance.co.uk/products/starter-motors/starter-performance/1-4kw-denso-performance/

The ignition switch will not like this amount of current whizzing through it.

Use the original solenoid to supply 12V @ big amps  direct to the HT starter  on its 1/4" contact. Link the HT Starter solenoid also to this 1/4" stud.

Do A Pete did and move the original solenoid to somewhere sensible.

Roger 

Roger thanks for that info, obviously too much time on my hands?

I'll take heed of what you advised and & will revert to the std Vitesse solenoid setup, but I'll now re access the battery in the boot set up I have, and consider how to refit the brake servo as per Pete L's Vit 6 set up ie the battery as per normal set up with servo mounted next to it but in line/orientation with the engine, I had moved the battery & mounted the servo transversely where the battery was.

I step forward then back!!! to much time on my hands with another lock down!1