Herald rear axle thread 'problem '

Guys, I'm struggling to get my nut on.

Yes, I had a fight to get the hub off. Could I have 'mushroomed' the thread? 

It is 5/8 fine at 18tpi is it not?

I have a die of that spec. but cannot get it to start. No hope with my new nut either. 

If anything, the threads look 'worn down' but I just cannot get a bite.

Would an 18 thread file do any Goodman you advise please, here's a piccy.

20210603_153046.jpg

Been at it from both sides Pete, with quite a lot of pressure!! Everytime I feel a bite, I stand back and see it is at an incompatible angle !!!

Very frustrating. I've just ordered a threat file 12 bloody quid!

Time for T.

Thanks.

I have tapered it a bit with a flat file Pete, did not want to go too far. It might be quite a 'jiggle' to get the die not to damage the few remaining good threads.

I'll wait for the thread file, clean and re-profile as best I can.

The last of the threads, where the tension will be, look ok so I just need to ensure the new nut can go on.

I think you'll having difficulty doing it with a thread file as theyre for cleaning up a damaged thread whereas you need to remove excess metal due to the bulging of the shaft end. What would be perfect is a split die and holder with screw adjuster so that you can open the die up to maximum and increase its chance of engaging correctly. Then once started you can progressively close up the die until the thread is uniform along the whole length.

To me it looks perfectly saveable but you need to file the bulge down to the same diameter as the undamaged thread - there will still be plenty of meat for the nut to torque up correctly...

:)

I tried to prise the die open but could not get a grip on it, plus it is tungsten and not really open able!

split die sounds canny. I've spent a fortune on tools over the last year :(

wish there were some more classic triumphs about to work on up here!

seems no one in north east has any problem cars.

Cheers Johny, actually I did not realise what I had until I read what you said! The holder does have a 'larger screw with conical point that fits on the die gap, plus two other holding screws.

It is 50 years since I had taps and died to play with!

I'll get it opened up tomorrow but suspect, knowing pie that a millimetre or two will only give a third of that in diameter and I think I need more :) still I'll have a bit file and see.. 

means I can sleep peacefully tonight. Ta.

Oh, P.S. there is nothing left to do on the car !!! ( well, maybe a re-spray)

Yes, slacken the two smaller outer screws back into the holder and screw the central conical screw down so that it engages in the slot in the die causing it to slightly expand.  One side of the die is tapered to aid starting but I always have problems getting the thread to start square to the shaft.

2 hours ago, Jeffds1360 said:

seems no one in north east has any problem cars.

I used to live in Darlington and attend the NorthEast section meetings near Durham.  They too had all sorts of problems; you are not alone!

Ummmmm, thanks but on reasembly I have a problem :(

trunnion is an inch short of seat and hub is another half inch so I cannot get to the thread yet. Do I just keep gently 'drifting' via the hub or hub off again and drift the trunnion on further?

what a pain it is knocking the tab washers after fitting the grease tray!

20210604_165317.jpg

the here is a dimension of  66.7mm from end of shaft to bearing block outer face 

but normally the hub goes on enough to start the nut and that when tightened pulls it all in place 

if its all goes wrong you might see the shoes sticking out beyond the drum or the drum fouls the back plate

do check while youre not watching tv that the drum face on the hub has not distorted whilst fighting toget the hub off

if bent get it  re skimmed in a lathe or the drum will rock around on its face 

Pete

No where near shoes on yet, plus this is just a spare half shaft I am refurbishing 

My question is how do I get the trunnion and it's bearings fully on the shaft.

Then, how do I get the hub fully on.

I do not want to be wielding a big hammer. Do the hub puller and bearing puller not work in reverse somehow ??? :)

Cannot get near the shaft thread Pete, it's a good half inch away inside the hub.

Need to get trunnion an inch further on. Then the hub to slide that inch plus another half inch. Think the key may be jamming ?? 

No idea. Given up. Tomorrow is another day. Never say die.

It`s now a couple of years since I put mine back. But if I remember correctly I drifted the Trunion block back on using a short length of tube?, fitted the back plate, then pulled the hub on?.

Pete