Following posts and subsequent notificatiin

2 hours ago, PeteH said:

Still what do you expect from where they "invented" Watneys Red Barrel?🤣

Pete

While there can be no excuse for the vile Grotney’s we do have the centre of the known Universe, the Griffin Brewery in Hammersmith.

Doug

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

Mathew - How many Fish, chips, black pudding, lemon and ketchup photos have you posted on here up to date? Must be some sort of record or advertising campaign?

I can see another thread coming BW :) 

Tony.

9 hours ago, Badwolf said:

Mathew - How many Fish, chips, black pudding, lemon and ketchup photos have you posted on here up to date? Must be some sort of record or advertising campaign?

They are all different ones as well,hows it going for support your local chippy!

9 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

While there can be no excuse for the vile Grotney’s we do have the centre of the known Universe, the Griffin Brewery in Hammersmith.

Doug

Doug, "When I was a lad". All us Rugby fan`s from "oop norf", down for the Wembly Finals. Used to say the Courage was well named. You needed Courage to actually drink it!. I guess it`s all about what you where actually "weaned" on.? But the Red Barrel. Was Dire. TBF. So was the "Brew X" and that was brewed (alegedly) at Burton.! Even worse, On Ship`s on longer voyages, we had to "suffer" Tennants Lager in can`s.😪

Pete

Pete,

I too used to go to the rugby finals, but at Twickenham, what could these Wembley finals that you speak of be? 😆

Not a great fan of Courage, but the Griffin Brewery was Fuller Smith and Turner, you could buy LIVE beer. One of the reasons I moved to Twyford was because there was a Fuller’s off license in the village. Sadly now gone and FTS owned by Japanese. 

There was also Young’s at the Ram brewery, I remember them delivering  by dray pulled by Shire Horses. Horses would get a couple of pints in a bucket at each stop.

East Berks meet at the Shire Horse near Maidenhead, they used to have Shire Horses, sadly now gone (don’t eat the burgers!) and the stables sold off for housing.

Doug

3 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

I remember them delivering  by dray pulled by Shire Horses. Horses would get a couple of pints in a bucket at each stop.

The perils of beer affects both animals and humans. You drink some, you end up pulling something and wanting to pee in the street.

On 05/06/2021 at 06:52, Mathew said:

They are all different ones as well,hows it going for support your local chippy!

Sadly the nearest one to us appears to have closed down. Not due covid, they didn't have planning permission when they opened and the retrospective application has been refused.

1 hour ago, PeteH said:

I guess it`s all about what you where actually "weaned" on.? But the Red Barrel. Was Dire.

My first job after leaving school was in London and being a Derbyshire lad had become accustomed to a certain standard of beer. A co-worker, from further north, also had higher standards than Watney's and Foster's. We lived in South Kensington and eventually established our local in a pub in Earls Court because they sold Newcastle Brown.

As for Fish & Chips, it can be found occasionally in Brittany failing that, as was the case last night, we make do with frozen from the supermarket! I know, sad isn't it. Worse still the 'deli' section in the supermarket is running out of British stuff (Brexit or not I don't know). No stock of picked onions & Sarsons vinegar for weeks ( I have 1 bottle left plus 1/2 jar of onions) Heinz baked beans are missing but I stocked up last time they had them :rolleyes:

Onions are easy to pickle and far superior to shop bought. I do a gallon of vinegar with pickling spice in 7 or 8 Kilner jars. When you’ve eaten all the onions just top up the jars with more onions. Usually lasts me from November to March.

We discovered “New Key” Brown at college  it suddenly became Uber popular and they did “something” to it when they increased production. Sadly it went from nectar of the Gods to Red Barrel.

Doug

You know, about 6 weeks ago we had a daisy come up on the back lawn. The wife says not to cut it when mowing as they attract bees. ( she is into that. Not that I am not)

So I avoided it. Last week.... 30 + heads 1st pic.

Today.....60+ !!!

Shall I make a chain?

20210530_143738.jpg

20210605_104855.jpg

1 hour ago, Jeffds1360 said:

You know, about 6 weeks ago we had a daisy come up on the back lawn.

A very short time ago we had one buttercup... I put down weedkiller, you know the stuff that 'kills weeds not the grass'? Killed the nettles, dandelions and docken, but the buttercups just got stronger.

DC9A382D-DF4B-4BE0-A1BD-B2E9CCBFB068_1_105_c.jpg.803d4027cdec5b3f469f7045f7843a69.jpg

4 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

what could these Wembley finals that you speak of be? 😆

Back then, It was all Legue Rugby Here. Hull, still supports (just about) 2 Teams. If all goes well, we might just get to this years final, Find out later to-day. When I lived in the West Country I got to Bath several times. When  Guscott was still playing. Nearest I got to "H-Q". Was when we Examined the heating system before it was all rebuilt.

Pete

1 hour ago, Mathew said:

Never mind the daisy's, i have either one or two moles in my back garden.  Every time i mow the mounds keep poping back up!

Ever see the Jasper Carrot Clip, about the moles?.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PeteH said:

Hull, still supports (just about) 2 Teams. If all goes well, we might just get to this years final,

Watching Hull vs St Helens now. :)

I used to go to watch Wasps when they shares with Wycombe Wanderers, but they moved to Milton Keynes.

db

2 hours ago, Chris A said:

I suppose someone has to live there 😱

Ha. Roundabout city!. You can get dizzy driving round/through it.

As for the Rugby. There`s always next year!. IMV. the scoreline wasn`t representative of the game but good luck to Saint`s. They have to Beat Castleford, so we still have a Yorkshire Team in play.

Pete

20 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

I bought a thread cleaner yesterday. Now I don't need it :)

does 12-16 18-22 tpi and more. 12 bloomin quid wasted

You may not need it today but there is allways tomorrow.  Thats why i have a barn full of bits ready for tomorrow 

On 04/06/2021 at 18:06, PeteH said:

And NEVER cook real (Yorkshire) Black Pudding, best tasted raw.

Pete

I had breakfast out yesterday morning, this was the only part I left... the owner asked if I didn't fancy it and all I could reply was: "you're feeding that horse too much grain..."

image0.thumb.jpeg.9144ff950c8d04fcfe644431faeb2770.jpeg