Reverse gear jumps out

Triumphgt6

Spitfire 3 rail gearbox. Started to jump out when in reverse. No problem if I keep my hand on the gear lever. Not used car for 12 months whilst I completed the build of car (started with 3 wrecks and boxes of parts). Worked ok last summer. Gear box tunnel off and propose to take gearbox top cover off, or could the problem be with the remote control shaft. No experience of gearboxes.

From first picture to second picture.

Any advice would be helpful, or do I leave as it is and hope that I never need to reverse?

Scan_20200330 (3).jpg

DSCF1681.JPG

sound like you need a remote bush kit and maybe a reset of the reverse push down stop bolt

wear on the remote cups and bushes can restrict full reverse engagement   and always look  at the cheap solution first 

its unlikley to be real gearbox problem 

there are balls and springs to keep it in gear but do check out the remote linkage first including  the tunnel  hole  fouling the travel 

Pete

Pete

Thanks for your comments. Will look at gear lever first and whether I need a bush kit. Last thing I need is the gear box out.

I have restored several Triumphs but hopeless when it comes to engines and gearboxes. Always get a friend to assist in that area, but he is away at moment with Formula 1.

Yup, bush kit. I need to do mine, not jumping out yet, but reverse is getting difficult! :lol: It's a tunnel off job, which I'm not looking forward to, but once off it's easy, as long as you remember what goes where. You don't need all the bits in the kit which can cause confusion. Take photos as you go always helps.

Doug

yes thats the push down stop bolt you set it so in 1st 2nd there is a minimal gap to the lock plate   

if all is ok dont worry about it 

works simply as you press down the adjustable stop bolt goes below the stop plate and allows you to select reverse 

on a darker note there  have been boxes where the reverse pivot lever on the inside of the box has been bent 

but keep that idea for when things are less simple 

the remote can be removed without stripping the gearbox  just 4 nuts

there are bushes in the bottom of the stick and on the intermediate pivot  all should be positive no sloppiness

Pete