Herald/Vitesse Convertible Front Retracting Seat Belts

I know there's numerous posts re Seat Belts including comments re mounting the retraction module on the inner rear wheel arch, but no photos showing the installation, I think Chris A has fitted them.

I'm interested re it's location on the wheel arch so as to keep the webbing straight & in line through the slot in the inner side trim panel & over the seat back. Also the belt only extracts so far which could be a problem with the limited seat travel backward in the convertible restricted by the larger B pillar.

I should add that the retractable seat belts are Securon purchased from the club shop a couple of years ago.

Any photo's of the installation would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Peter

I have recently started a Vitesse Mk2 Convertible body off chassis rebuild. The front inertia reels are located on the wheel arches. Suggest you protect the nuts and washers on the underside, as mine were rusted and difficult to remove. There wasn't any problem with reach of the belts.

Steve

Seat Belt Fixing 4.JPG

Seat Belt Fixing 5.JPG

Fitted the adjustable retractor type to the wheel arch of my Vitesse convertible twenty odd years ago, I did not use the Triumph location, this year change the driver one as belt had started to fray on edge. Do not think it is possible to use existing slot in rear side panel without the belt rubbing. Main problem was picking a retractor location were it would work with the hood folded.

Regards

Paul

Thanks for that there the same belts as I have, does the belt pass thro the slot in the inner trim side panel and line up to go over the seat backrest without stressing the trim panel.

68vitesse you answered re trim panel as I was posting Thanks

The line through the panel isn't straight in use, think the only appreciable stress would be if the retractor locked, photo not very clear but holding the seat belt where my shoulder would be there appears to be light rubbing on the top and inside of the belt as photo of old belt. 

Regards

Paul

Belt.jpg

Belt2.jpg

Looking at your photo again I fitted my retractor upside down with an additional heavy duty bracket to the wheel arch, the belt comes of the retractor nearly horizontal then nearly vertical through the panel and back to horizontal for your shoulder. Think the wear to the belt was caused by the retractor, due to all the belt angle changes not the side trim, if I was getting new side trims would try and get some without the slot and cut my own.

Regards

Paul

Just popped out for minute to take these photos.

The reel is mounted on the original points and don't get blocked by the hood when down. No signs of wear on the belts or trim, but then only been fitted for 6 years. Hope this helps.

SAM_1743.thumb.JPG.a25bb40ca166106e3262c45b964769de.JPGSAM_1744.thumb.JPG.ef0ba07f579ad8fb9da9b816ad6b1268.JPG

Thanks for the info and photos helps a lot. Chris the holding down bolt must be right on the radius of the inner half of the wheel arch. I'll print the photo's out and look tomorrow, it's blowing a gale here tonight, 100kph winds will have to clean the pool out tomorrow first

I'm 6'2 so the strap should be quite high in the slot but having regard for cars use should last eons

1 hour ago, Peter Truman said:

Chris the holding down bolt must be right on the radius of the inner half of the wheel arch.

All I can say is that it looks to have been the original fixing point and it is where the static belt was fitted when I got the car.

Hi I fitted Some back Last year during the ongoing refurb;. There are a series of photo`s on one of the Threads. If I find the link I will post?. I moved the Anchorage back to clear the Folded hood frame and added stiffening in the wheelarch to compensate.

Pete

Hi

Found it. https://forum.tssc.org.uk/topic/7037-vitesse-16006-convertable-seat-belts/page/3/

Towards the end of Page 3 .

Pete

image.thumb.jpeg.8d18b7c91b231675d6183cf22eb39252.jpeg

The above shows how far I moved it back to clear the Hood Frames. The original hole shown below it will be blanked off.

image.thumb.jpeg.d150c5711791333e9c32c5ce8613a801.jpeg

How they finished. Donor seats from a "serial" MX owners Stockpile.

image.thumb.jpeg.c8080542058e5b28af60bfa731554040.jpeg

Extra (precautionary)bracing in behind the frame for the upper mounting.