And Today's Mystery Object Is...

DerekS

Sorry guys,the delay wasn't intentional, we had to go and meet our newborn grandson, our first. An absolutely magical moment! 

Anyhow, apparently it's at least 50 years old and is a

Sward Hardness Rocker,

a very delicate instrument. 

You counted the number of oscillations until it stopped and that told you the hardness of the material being tested, glass being 100%. (There must be more to it than that but Google will fill in the gaps in this info.) Apparently they're still made and used but are now digital.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, derekskill said:

Sorry guys,the delay wasn't intentional, we had to go and meet our newborn grandson, our first. An absolutely magical moment! 

Anyhow, apparently it's at least 50 years old and is a

Sward Hardness Rocker,

a very delicate instrument. 

You counted the number of oscillations until it stopped and that told you the hardness of the material being tested, glass being 100%. (There must be more to it than that but Google will fill in the gaps in this info.) Apparently they're still made and used but are now digital.

CONGRATULATIONS DEREK ON THE NEWBORN 🐣

Bloody makes me feel old. Our first was 30, last year! and has a boy and girl of his own!. Congrats, all round. Everyone I speak to says the same, there all great, but there is something particularly special about the first.

The device, was probably used to test paint samples after painting?.

Pete

Congratulations Derek! :)

I'm on my 7th, birthdays and Christmas getting a bit expensive now. :(

Watch the little buggers! Eldest stole one of my spanners, daughter found it under his pillow.

"Why did you take it?" 

"It was shiny and he said I could have it"

Doug

On 09/06/2021 at 15:43, derekskill said:

Hello, I'm just doing some prep work with my car stuff ready for moving house and came across this, not for use on a car I know, but I've always wondered exactly what it is! It's made by Sheen instruments of Richmond,  Surrey. Do you know?

Derek.

20210609_153228.jpg

Derek 

we need another mystery object....

check ya shed and see what’s in there 

Mark