Forum Bug!

While we still could holiday in France, we were near La Rochelle, and visited the old Nazi submarine pens, now a museum where yu could go aboard an old French submarine.     I was surprised that there were so few bunks.   The guide told us that this was because, to save space, each was shared by three men!  One on watch, one resting and only one sleeping. 

Never having been aboard any other nation's subs, I've no idea if they use the same practice!

John

2 minutes ago, JohnD said:

While we still could holiday in France, we were near La Rochelle, and visited the old Nazi submarine pens, now a museum where yu could go aboard an old French submarine.     I was surprised that there were so few bunks.   The guide told us that this was because, to save space, each was shared by three men!  One on watch, one resting and only one sleeping. 

Never having been aboard any other nation's subs, I've no idea if they use the same practice!

John

And there was me thinking the others slept on deck 🤿

• Haha 1

if its just me  well  i dont have a clue   i use google as a search eng.  and have done for years 

yes this week to coincide with the forum updates windows 10 has had two updates 

i have no idea why the short cuts have become full typed notes not an icon to click 

i will ask my PC guru if theres something local to my machines 

but the main display has again lost its boxed display and back to what i have been using for far too long 

a good mystery 

Pete

3 hours ago, JohnD said:

John

"Hot Bedding" is (was) a way of life on the North Sea oil rigs. You had your Sleeping bag and pillow and used the vacant bunk. WW2 Sub`s the ratings slung hammocks around the Torpedo`s. I think the practice continued until the advent of the Nukes.? More DIck`s Patch than mine, But one of my line bosses had been a Submariner, Engineer Branch.

Pete

P.S. Tried to log on from my I-phone earlier, got the login OK. But the Page came up as a "dos" screen.? I thought I was back in the 80`s!.

P

41 minutes ago, PeteH said:

More DIck`s Patch than mine

Hot bunking continued into the nuclear powered submarine era, with 'Defence Watches' (6 on/6 off) the standard routine.  In Junior Rates ('sailors') mess spaces the bunks were 3 high, but less crowded for the Senior Rates (PO and CPO) and they had their own bunks.  Officers shared cabins and the CO had the only single cabin.

Avoided submarines like the plague despite the extra pay; all that time at sea but going 'nowhere'.  Much more of a Type 42 destroyer man, with mixed manning, where the CO has his own Leading Steward and the ultimate luxury of the only bath onboard;  useless at sea and really there for hypothermia cases!

Dick 

Pete L think I've worked out what's wrong re Courier access, my membership was due early June & I haven't been notified so yes it accepts my login and says successful but I have no membership access?

emailed Angie to sort out my payment 

If anyone has a clue about reforming the written boxes  back to icons i will try anything  

ihave reset the PC display checked its not on sight impaired etc  but all this change came from either the forum update or the windows update as both happended  around the same time 

now at a loss but this waste of space is bugging me now . 

Pete

image.thumb.png.6fa462046f850a05e3ab4c2b87544205.png

Pete - I tried the replicate your display by copying the URL that you are using rather than one of my presets. No problem. I must be in your setup routine somewhere. Have you tried it from an Android device or a different Windows 10 machine. It won't help to tell you that I am not getting any layout formatting problems on any of my devices. Colin you use a Mac, have you have anything similar?

22 hours ago, Dick Twitchen said:

only bath onboard;  useless at sea and really there for hypothermia cases!

Always gave me a chuckle, The older ships had passesnger accomodation, a throw back to when much of the Ex-Pat travel involved ship`s. All had Bath`s. On ships with no stabilisation?. AND limited fresh water supply!.

Pete

ive just been locked in as much the submit goes grey and nothing uploads ( see if this re boot works )

have done ctl F5  and no change  

i have unistalled and re installed  chrome/ bing/ MS Edge  all show the same header

talking to Doug he suggested use my phone or tablet  well the old android tablet actually powered up and 

with a out of date unsupported version of google it works fine  

so the culprit is some daft window update 

Pete

I have Both Windows 7 and 10 on a dual boot here. Win7 is working OK apart from a tendancy to drop into overtype without warning. Dosen`t happen on Win10, same machine and keyboard.

I have to check and bring Win10 is up to date, so I may go and see if Petes "problem" is showing there. Demands a full "reboot".

Pete

well just to try i have restored the laptop to pre last windows  update its taken an hour but it now wont run google chrome so loaded MS edge  and the result is the same as before  so its not the windows update 

surely  this  has to be from the forum update   ????

it is only the forum reply post thats in a mess all other things i use are fine 

Pete

screen print 

image.thumb.png.ab2060c5c0d58f1d1b96a5c9fd4a6e24.png