Temp sender compatibility

cliff.b

The temp gauge on my Spit reads settles around the 3/4 mark when up to temperature and I have been reading many of the historical threads here from people who experienced similar. I have seen it repeatedly stated that the sender should be a GTR108 but the one I purchased from a classic car parts supplier as being suitable is a GTR106.

Does anyone know if this is in fact a direct replacement or could it be causing an incorrect reading?

6 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

I replaced mine about 18 months ago, not sure of the reference though. It cured the problem. It could, I think, also be linked to the voltage stabiliser. Someone will confirm or correct me on that.

I was wondering that but then assumed if it is for a non stabilised voltage it would under read if used with a stabiliser. I tried searching for GTR106 but all it brought up was the same advert for the one that I bought which still says suitable for Heralds & Spitfires

If your fuel gauge is also reading high then the culprit is very likely to be a faulty voltage stabiliser.

i think the gtr108 is listed for the Spitfire, but could have changed over the years of production as gauges altered, of previous owners have altered what is available.

May be worth trying both temp senders - they are only £6/7 - and see which provides the most reasonable output.

....... Andy 

19 minutes ago, AndyTV8 said:

If your fuel gauge is also reading high then the culprit is very likely to be a faulty voltage stabiliser.

i think the gtr108 is listed for the Spitfire, but could have changed over the years of production as gauges altered, of previous owners have altered what is available.

May be worth trying both temp senders - they are only £6/7 - and see which provides the most reasonable output.

....... Andy 

Fuel gauge isn't reading high. I think I will order a gtr108 and see if the reported temp is different. If I could confirm the 106 is incorrect I was going to go back to the supplier but as you say, it is only a few £s.

Incidentally, the gtr106 has a red insulator and all the 108s on the web seem to be black 

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

there are two for triumphs and smiths/jaeger gauges  sold by main suppliers

voltage stabilised use GTR108    

early  non  stabilised use 121997  you cant intermix them

pete

So I understand from the earlier posts, but I can't find any reference to this GTR106 that I was sent. Maybe it's just a typo or something 🤔

The 106 is listed for heralds, spits etc on numerous sites, here are two..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TEMPERATURE-TRANSMITTER-TRIUMPH-HERALD-SPITFIRE-GTR106-HILLMAN-IMP-MINX-HUMBER-/312232225700

https://www.yoyopart.com/oem/6723318/rover-gtr106.html

but P*ddocks list the 108 which, I think, is the one that I got from Rimm*rs. I do have a recollection that the metal in the first one that I got fractured when fitting. On tightening up the nut section the metal was a sort of crystalline. I will check tomorrow as I'm sure that I still have it in the spares box. Rimm*rs replaced it without question. Makes you wonder.

caerbont  instruments who make  Smiths    had   a chart of senders  but its seems to be blank right now 

there are lots of these things   and yes the cap colour should signify voltage , type, etc 

think green is non stabilised

red or black ( aftermarket)  stabilised 

sorry memory is foggy 

i have never seen a main supplier sell 106's  ita been 108 for years 

these are generic aftermarket part numbers , 

they must be matched types  we had on the lost forum a engine change due to overheating when it was the sender fault 

being totally accurate is less important than showing a unexpected change 

Pete

10 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

Pete

Yes I agree. With a known car and a known position for the temperature needle it doesn't matter where it sits the important bit is when it does something different.

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

caerbont  instruments who make  Smiths    had   a chart of senders  but its seems to be blank right now 

there are lots of these things   and yes the cap colour should signify voltage , type, etc 

think green is non stabilised

red or black ( aftermarket)  stabilised 

sorry memory is foggy 

i have never seen a main supplier sell 106's  ita been 108 for years 

these are generic aftermarket part numbers , 

they must be matched types  we had on the lost forum a engine change due to overheating when it was the sender fault 

Pete

Yes, I agree, but when I got the car the sender was faulty and no temp reading at all until I replaced it. So unfortunately, I have no "normal" to compare it with. 

If the new, new sender gives the same reading I will investigate with a thermometer for peace of mind and only take any further action if required 👍

17 minutes ago, NonMember said:

Also worth noting that the factory spec for running temperature changed in the '70s, so a 1500 engine in a Mk3 Spitfire (like I have) probably should read 3/4 in normal running.

I didn't know that. Are you saying that the gauges or the sender's are different between the earlier & later cars?

yes std most models for UK is an 82c stat    the 1500 to aid emmisions and weaker mixtures raised to an 88C stat

6C will make a higher reading there is no ref i can see to any difference in gauge or sender specifications  so yes 1500 may well read a few needle thicknesses nearer the red rather than anticipated mid way 

canley list GTS106 as the 88C   and GTS104 as the 82C 

there is a link to after FH105734    

the mkIV shows both stats  !!!!!

the MKIV   parts list is clear the 1300 is 88C for USA  special winter conditions  ....NOT UK/ Europe

Pete

Hmm, a further development. I completely filled the fuel tank for the first time today & the gauge only reported 3/4 full, so thinking I have a separate issue there. So checked the voltage to the gauges & it is 12v, so presume the stabiliser is in fact faulty. Should have checked it in the first place and no just assumed ok because fuel gauge wasn't high 🙄.

So, new solid state stabiliser ordered. New, new sender already coming so I will compare them but suspect the one I have is ok.

33 minutes ago, cliff.b said:

I completely filled the fuel tank for the first time today & the gauge only reported 3/4 full,

Mine does the same, and stays there for what seems like a lot of distance, by the time the tank is getting to the low mark it is more or less correct. I do keep saying I must check it out but never do because it does warn me in time that I need petrol.

trouble is as age drives on you forget more than you remember 

i dont remember what oil goes in a 1913  Commer Car chain drive any more cut my teeth on this as an apprentice at Commer 

its now in oxford bus museum with the log book showing Commer Cars Luton as previous owner 

it was ruddy Chrysler that got rid of any heritage 

image.jpeg.603f74d957f4beed1b561237a0187d13.jpeg

54 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

i dont remember what oil goes in a 1913  Commer Car chain drive any more cut my teeth on this as an apprentice at Commer 

its now in oxford bus museum with the log book showing Commer Cars Luton as previous owner 

Pete 

did you work in biscot rd biscot in Luton 

mark 

yes Biscot road machining plant  ,  Boscombe road Dunstable assembly plant and audits at   Maidstone (TS3)  1962 to 2003

being the manager of the Audit team were weren't popular anywhere   Ha !

free range to check everything that moves works or needs machining  

went from 75 trucks a day to 8 a day with jolly renault ...doomed from then on 

there now stands an amazon unit 

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

I was Googling your oil for the drive chain and came across this on Wikipedia hope it interests you.

F7827A75-4B3A-4D52-981C-D18E5A179155.thumb.png.c612caf967d808715a751c843e348d6e.png