Temp sender compatibility

cliff.b

An update on why running my SMART fan has such an effect on the temp - it doesn't.

The reading on the temp gauge does drop almost a 1/4 but so does he fuel gauge.

I'm running with an original dynamo and turning the fan on to max must be dropping the voltage of the whole system, including the stabiliser.

I have however changed my thermostat to an 82C from the original 73C - no real change - normal running showing just over 3/4.

Changing to a new Red GTR106 drops this to bob-on the 3/4 mark, which will have to do.

16 hours ago, SkillyHerald said:

An update on why running my SMART fan has such an effect on the temp - it doesn't.

The reading on the temp gauge does drop almost a 1/4 but so does he fuel gauge.

I'm running with an original dynamo and turning the fan on to max must be dropping the voltage of the whole system, including the stabiliser.

That's what I was querying a couple of pages back, when I asked about putting the blower fan on. It sounds like the output is dropping due to the increased load, and so all the gauges drop accordingly. The temperature is still the same.

• 2 weeks later...

My new 1500 engine in the Herald runs at 3/4 on the gauge whereas the old 1300 engine ran at half way max.I bought 2 x 108 senders from different suppliers to test with an Ohm meter.

1 reads 680 ohms,the other 880 from the spade to the sensor when cold,this must give a different reading on the car between the 2.

Steve

what colours are  the insulators ?

engine capacity/type  has no bearing on the sender is the new engine earthed diffently to the old one ??

have you  checked the stabiliser output  voltage ??

agree both senders at the same temperature should give the same resisitance  (if thay are actually the same ) 

5 hours ago, Steve P said:

My new 1500 engine in the Herald runs at 3/4 on the gauge whereas the old 1300 engine ran at half way max.I bought 2 x 108 senders from different suppliers to test with an Ohm meter.

1 reads 680 ohms,the other 880 from the spade to the sensor when cold,this must give a different reading on the car between the 2.

Steve

I have just checked my incorrect sender with a red insulator and it is reading 400ohms at room temp. That sender generally showed the temp at about 3/4 whereas the replacement 108 with black insulator sits just below 1/2.

Do you still have the old engine? If so, what resistance is the sender from that?

48 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

to me the red top is non stabilised   (can be totally sure , are there any product numbers on the units ???

Pete

The red top one that I removed has no markings apart from AVP & UK.

17 hours ago, Steve P said:

Steve

Steve, the resistance changes very fast, especially at the lower end of the temp range. At 80 degrees is should be under 100ohms ( I can't remember the exact resistance)

43 minutes ago, clive said:

Steve, the resistance changes very fast, especially at the lower end of the temp range. At 80 degrees is should be under 100ohms ( I can't remember the exact resistance)

My replacement sender was 110 ohms at 85C when I tested it and that made the gauge just below halfway.

The first one that I was supplied (which was a lrc106) was 80 ohms at the same temp & the gauge read just under 3/4.

I think I've posted these before, but why not again, given the above.      Sensor responses, even new, can be highly variable.

1181807972_tempgaugeresponses.jpg.d36b57faa652287645de8f437ae8d999.jpgThis shows the dial reading with two diffrent new sensors.

And can deteriorate quite quickly:

1272175364_Temp.sensorresponses.jpg.d2d28133324d65b51e2e055590f8e32b.jpgThis shows the resistance of some sensors, old and new.

I tested these by putting the sensors in a water bath and heating that on a camp stove, while I monitored the guage reading or resistance:

439328913_Tempgaugetestsetup.jpg.1ab281b34161cfb185810a978d706a2a.jpg 

You can do this on the bench as shown, or in the car if you set up your stove an water bath beside it.   Use long wires to connect the test sensor to the loom and earth.

John

21 hours ago, cliff.b said:

Do you still have the old engine? If so, what resistance is the sender from that?

No,sold on e bay for 40 quid.

As for markings on the new ones,one has none,the other has the following..FAE then 31210 and also 035.

No idea.Both have black tops.

I don`t think the stabiliser is faulty as i have never had a problem with the fuel gauge which is fairly accurate.

Steve

1 hour ago, Steve P said:

No,sold on e bay for 40 quid.

As for markings on the new ones,one has none,the other has the following..FAE then 31210 and also 035.

No idea.Both have black tops.

I don`t think the stabiliser is faulty as i have never had a problem with the fuel gauge which is fairly accurate.

Steve

Have you tried the new sender with the higher resistance in the car yet? 

If so, what does the gauge read?

• 4 weeks later...

Update on this,i removed the one on the car that read 3/4 during normal running,the resistance of that one was 780 ohms ish,(different every time i tested it).

I had the 2 new ones,i fitted the one with the lower resistance (600 ish ohms).

Went for a 20 mile run and the gauge now sits at 1/3 and pretty much stayed there.I am going to leave this one in and see what happens.

Steve