Heavy Engine "Rattle"

GHILA

I have just put my Spitfire 1500 on the road since buying in November and restoring. I have notice a "Heavy Rattle" when the revs reach around 2500. Which is not nice to hear, I am from an engineering background and don't like knocking noises. From your extensive experience is there anything which immediately comes to mind. This does not seem to happen when standing still and lifting the revs. this is definitely an engine noise.

"This does not seem to happen when standing still and lifting the revs"  but is "definitely an engine noise".

That does not compute, Captain.

Do you mean it only happens when the car is moving?   In which case this is transmission or suspension, not engine.

15 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Do you mean it only happens when the car is moving?   In which case this is transmission or suspension, not engine.

Well, probably, but not absolutely. It is possible that it's an engine noise that only happens under load, so you get it when driving but not when revving gently at idle.

has all the sounds of the the exhaust system is in close contact and when power is applied the tilt of the engine under torque gets the 

exhaust with a  small clearance to make contact somewhere along its route   it can be quite horrific

thats where i would look this could be a cheap noise rather than 1500 with the big ends shot 

is it just revs or is it more pronounced under heavy throttle. Big end will knock (if worn) when you put your foot down under load but not when revved not in gear. I would first check the end float by trying to move the crank pulley forward and back, more than a couple of thou would indicate a worn engine and is easy and free to check. All of the above suggestions are also possibilities and much cheaper to fix!