GT6 MkIII fresh air ducting

Roger K

Can anyone tell me how the fresh air eyeball vent ducting is supposed to go on a Mk3 GT6?

For the life of me I cannot get the passenger's side footwell eyeball into position.  I've tried all variations on angles of pipe and which goes where, but the two mounting holes into the parcel shelf are nowhere near.  They were not properly fastened when I dismantled them, and were not pointing at the footwells so I don't have much to go on.  I really don't want to lose these vents but just leaving them off seems the only way at the moment.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks, Roger

Roger,

Don't know if this is any help? It's from Canley Classics and shows the heater and one side of the demist and fresh air vent. The fresh air eyeball is at the centre top and the twists in the pipes are fairly accurate as I recall.

hoses.PNG

Doug

Thanks Doug, that's the diagram from the MkIII parts book, which I have.  The problem 'eyeball' is the LH side footwell one, which I think is no.72 in the diagram - but the numbering doesn't make sense to me, as the hose in the correct position for this is 614347, which doesn't attach to anything in the diagram.  There isn't room for it anyway, so I think it must be a case of push everything together really hard and hope nothing cracks or gives way.

Roger,

Hmm, the diagram only shows one eyeball which I take to be the driver's side dashboard.

As the routing of the pipes is different driver's side and passenger side, (because of the steering column?) both sets of pipes are shown. Notice that the "Y" piece is horizontal on the driver's side, but vertical on the passenger side. 

Doug

This is completely solvable! Been there and done it (several times). Because this is a recurring problem with GT6s I posted a procedure for attaching the venting complete with photos. Can't re-post right now because the files are on my other computer which I've not got with me at the moment. But should be in the archive under search terms 'bodywork' , 'GT6', 'vent', 'ducting'.

If it can't be found let me know and I can re-post later on.

If you need a photo of the NS vent freshly fitted I could send you one but that would have to be tomorrow.

Just to check a) that you do have the GT6 heater box and not a Spitfire one which lacks the two bottom outlets b) and that you have the correct bits for attachment to the parcel shelf - namely the hoop (like a Terry clip) that goes round the eyeball assembly and the special angled bracket which attaches to 'hoop' to the rail on the shelf - this bracket is handed but left and right are easily mixed up.

The Canley picture from the parts manual is misleading because it implies that the footwell eyeball points down to the ground. Correct is more like 45 degrees to the left of the car and 45 degrees toward the rear.

This can definitely be sorted out! Let me know if you need me to repost.

• Like 1

Thanks Chris,

I slept on it and came back to look at it today.  Sometimes you just need to stop and leave it...

Yes, careful repositioning has got them both in place.  It didn't help that the small bracket fixing them to the glove box brace had been fitted the wrong way around.  It's a bit of a monkey puzzle on the LHS, probably because the structure of the car was never designed with all this extra more modern comfort in mind.  Thanks for the offer of help, though.

Roger