Vitesse block leaking

Joel

Afternoon all

A quick run this afternoon (10 mins) saw a big puddle of water forming under the car in the garage. She leaks a bit but never from there!! I've attached a pic of the leak running down over the bottom drain valve but can't follow it any higher as the manifold is in the way. The temperature gauge reads normal, haven't run it without the right amount of coolant, not a noticeable power drop but a big puddle!  A fairly constant flow down the side of the block but the water in the drip pan seems pretty cool. Any ideas?

20210613_140039_resized.jpg

As Johny says there's a welsh/core plug immediately above the drain tap/plug.

Attached is a photo of a 6 cylinder 2 lt engine stripped and with no head/manifolds that show the orientation.

On your photo you can see the plug wet/weeping 

Offside of 6 cylinder engine with rear welsh plug and drain hole.JPG

I would give the other plugs a good test and a prod, don’t forget the one that’s only accessible by removing the gearbox cover . How do I know that , yes got the T Shirt 😱

Paul 

Thanks for the replies, chaps. It would appear that this is the only plug that needs replacing as the others look okay. What are my options, engine out and replace them all or can I just do the leaking one?

I would do just that one because as I say it has a reputation for being the one to go. Of course you can always inspect it once out and make a decision based on the level of corrosion found. Also what is your coolant like when you drain the system? If its brown coloured and the radiator is full of debris its probably time to flush the entire system and yes replace the core plugs☹️ 

Sorry John, didn't reply to your drain plug question. It's a "artisanale" repair, done by the previous owner who snapped off the drain valve whilst over tightening. It appears to be a bit of brass that's been "percussively introduced" to the block. It doesn't leak and is one of those "on the list to replace" jobs!! I think that I need to replace the core plugs and rinse the block through as the coolant is a lovely gravy colour. I've seen a set of core plugs on Rimmer Bros for a few quid - are they easy to install? Threaded into the block?

getting the old ones out can be a faf of digging holes and gorilla levering 

they just tap in , dont use a silicon sealer its too slippery these have to grip 

or they can push out under coolant pressure

as for a flush a couple of cupfulls of cheap washing soda crystals  run for a couple of days and flush out   works a treat and  Cheap

Pete

Pete I've rebuilt a couple of engines and replaced the welsh plugs with the brass cup plugs, I would never use silicon, but after cleaning the plug seat just scraping a screw driver blade nothing more aggressive as I don't want to make the hole seat any bigger, then I've used a smear of Permatex Aviation gasket goo (brown black stinky stuff) to help the cup seal, never had a subsequent failure, Question for future reference right or wrong decision re using the old style Aviation gasket goo, irrespective I ain't taking them out again.

Whilst I had the welsh plugs out I did a serious clean of the block cooling passages removing years of built up rust esp between the bores and with special attention to the rear of the block. I used a short length of old Bowden cable in a high speed Dremmel drill the cable unwinds at the end and thrasth's around loosening the brown deposits to dust which is hoovered out with a 1/2in pliable plastic irrigation pipe extension the head was off so access from the top was also possible. Yes the engine was out of the car.

Personally due to all the faff  getting to the welsh plugs on the 6 cylinder engine I would replace all of them and use brass ones with a smear of shellac.
You have no way of telling if they are original, the last 6 cylinder blocks are over 40 years old.
And before you put the manifolds back on top the water up to make sure none are leaking and let it sit overnight/weekend/week☺️

Adrian

Think brass is a bit of overkill as our cars now get far better maintenance than they ever used to back in the day. The average cosseted classic now probably gets coolant changes about every 1000 miles🤣

Thanks for the advice Adrian. Still hesitating about whether to pull the engine and do all of them or remove the manifolds and do a "summer fix" to allow me to use it over the next few months. I think the former will win out.