Will Mk4 spitfire hood/frame fit a Mk3 Spitfire.

Pretty certain the header rail is a different shape, plus the door windows are different. 

Never seen the later hoodframe fitted either, which I would have expected to see if it would work. 

I have a mk3 hood frame available if you need one....somewhere in my loft.

Thanks Clive and Mathew,

I will certainly bear you both in mind. I had to replace my windscreen frame due to excessive rust and the only one available was from a later Mk3 with the lever fasteners. Looking at Ebay it would appear cheaper to replace the frame than have the catches converted by cutting and welding in the captive nuts and save the measuring too.

Cheers

8 hours ago, SpitfireGeorge said:

Thanks Clive and Mathew,

I will certainly bear you both in mind. I had to replace my windscreen frame due to excessive rust and the only one available was from a later Mk3 with the lever fasteners. Looking at Ebay it would appear cheaper to replace the frame than have the catches converted by cutting and welding in the captive nuts and save the measuring too.

Cheers

Give me a shout if you are interested. The spare one I have is the later twisty lever type. All works fine, just stored in my loft.

It would be handy if you could use the later mkIV frame, it is a much nicer folding action. 

On 16/06/2021 at 08:44, Peter Truman said:

Have you thought about using larger steel Rivnuts in the windscreen frame, rather than cutting welding to fit anchor nuts. I used heavy duty Rivnuts on my Mk2 Vitesse saloon windscreen frame when I converted to a convertible.

Hi Peter,

The worry I have is getting them correctly lined up. I get the feeling that I could not achieve the necessary accuracy. I reckon it would be cheaper to buy a second hand hood frame than pay a bodywork guy to do it.

Cheers

My 68 Vitesse Mk2 was a saloon but the front tub with incorporated windscreen was original and I was very surprised to find it didn't have the conv hood clamp anchor bolts fitted as std on all models, not even dimples as to where the clamps should fit!

Must admit re Rivnuts I measured for their locations several times from measurements & template off another car to check, also trial fitted the conv hood frame before committing.

Good Spit Mk1 to 3 windscreen frames can be found I picked one up here locally off fleabay for $20 absolutely perfect in every way no signs of rust anywhere, but there was a lot of sand from sandblasting in the inner part of the frame, took some getting out!