50 year old H P oil. Any good still?

Jeffds1360

Just found my ancient oil cans. One fitted with a tube. Guess this was for the front trunnions on my Spitfire 4 back in the 70s.

They still work but do you think I should replace the oil?

Possibly it was a better spec back then than this modern stuff!

20210614_151136.jpg

Base oils are quite stable and unlikely to degrade much over long periods but the high pressure additives may not last so well.

Also modern oils are formulated with more advanced additives.

As Mathew says, use it for non critical jobs. Only use a decent modern oil for high pressure applications like trunnions, gearbox or diff.

Nigel

7 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

my Trunnion Oiler with permanent hydraulic Coupling, oil can has a brass and steel pump not plastic, and uses Penrite brass compatible EP90 oil

Trunnion Oiler.JPG

I think mine will not be plastic, I'd guess bakelite might have been about. Should I worry if there are brass components and 50 year old oil? It can squirt many feet, wish I could still. These modern ones just dribble :)

Lack of "squirt" is age related Gentlemen. One has to be more careful and get closer, or the shoes get wet. (Something, sadly, to which I can attest!😭)

Gone are the "happy" schoolboy day`s of competitive "Squirt" sessions in the outdoor open facilities of the old school. This was after Herman`s Airmen had "modified" it.

Pete

2 hours ago, PeteH said:

Gone are the "happy" schoolboy day`s of competitive "Squirt" sessions in the outdoor open facilities of the old school. This was after Herman`s Airmen had "modified" it.

Pete

I should hope so. People have been locked up for less...

I found a group of boys peeing up the end wall of my garage a few years back, trying to see who could pee the highest. I hit the roof!

• Haha 1

The best thing I ever saw on the subject was on a 'Wednesday Play' type drama. Someone who was fed up of the locals peeing in a particular place got an electrician friend of his to connect his megameter to a steel plate in the area. When they 'went' several amps through the plate and back up the fluid.