Engine weight

rogerguzzi

Hello All

I have cleaned up my flywheel and it weighs about 0.8lbs lighter! but I know it is true all over.

John here is a photo of my lathe set up

Roger

I had better get on with my brother in laws Differential now? all the bearings arrived today, I got them off ebay after checking they were major brands.

The 2 main ones are Timken USA

Pinion are SKF Japan

Output shaft NTN Japan

Seal SKF

Rimmers could not tell me the make of bearings and I did not want any budget bearings in the differential

post-44-0-15170700-1440506119_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-48957500-1440506127_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-99980500-1440506137_thumb.jpg

Hello John

No it is a Woodhouse & Mitchell  70 Junior  72 centre lathe 3' 9" between centres with a norton gearbox.

It was made in 1952 I even have the inspection sheet and operator's manual.

I was made redundant in 1980 and I bought it with part of the redundancy money! it has paid for its self many times over in the last 35 years.

She is a bit worn now (like me) but we cope with each other.

Here is a link to her statistics.

She is built like brick S**thouse.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/woodhouse%26mitchell/

Roger

Nice bit of kit Roger. I have a Churchill Cub which has been absolutely marvellous and from the same era. Mine was twenty five quid but in pieces. At the first attempt to assemble the gearbox I managed to get about fourteen neutrals and one gear. But I got there in the end. This picture isn't mine but very much like it and has I feel more than med_gallery_67_25_15859.jpga passing resemblance to yours. 

Hello John

That looks like a proper lathe as well.

Built in the days when we made proper things to last( I think mine will see me out?)

When I think of all the things I have made and modified on my lathe.

Roger

Indeed Roger, I really couldn't do without one now. Same with the mill/drill. I don't do that much milling any more but the x/y table is fantastic for drilling holes in just the right positions.

Hello JohnD

I have taken you advice and made a backing plate to spread the load, I did not have a spare back plate but I did have some 1/4" aluminum plate so I made one.

Its so nice to be able to work at a nice height and walk around the engine and turn it over without a hernia forming(had that fixed I don't want another)

Not sure would want 1000lbs on it?

Still not sure which camshaft to fit? a TR5 profile(35 65 65 35) would be good so I am told but no one seems to do that?

Roger

post-44-0-90642700-1440789896_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-84350900-1440789909_thumb.jpg

• Like 1