Rebuilding 150 CDSE

Adrian

TLC    tender loving care  !!!!

ie a file a fettle and a cuppa 

as |Doug says  just fit the spindle in the bore by itself . any slop or stiffness or  obvious wear 

as there is not much wear on the existing shaft  i would think the bushes are ok 

just change the seals as you have them     most earlier dont have these fitted 

Pete

Rang Burlen and it turns out that the Carbs date from a change in spindles. Now at a dilema, got a justified reason to send back, got slight wear on the spindle but not massive by Pete's account. You'd expect this carb to have worn the same amount as the unchecked one (as only supposed to dismantle one at a time!). Or just go ahead and rebuild everything?

Doug the kits a full rebuild with jets and needles as well.

Are yours definitely CD150SE then because I thought they were a lot later than the carbs fitted to my car? Looking at Rimmers there was my spindle set up (the only case with one having threads both ends), then a stage where front and rear spindles were the same and then finally they became different again... 

My carb tags are 3432L and R which are 150CD-SE. However thats not the spindle, the spindle fitted is for a 150CD-SEV which I think refers to a vent somewhere. Burlens said the only difference to the kit is the one spindle, so either a PO modified the ancillaries to the later kit or the tags must be wrong? Anyone know of an identifing feature of an SEV or indeed what the actual difference is?

It's the throttle linkage to the other carb.

I have noticed the carb closest to the front of the car seems to have the choke on it but not on the rear one. No other gismo other than the temperature compensators. Just for completeness the float bowl just has a tiny bit of sediment in it. I think based on history file the car has done about 10,000 miles in the last 31 years. Looking at the video's of people rebuilding carbs this seems pristine (based on burnt on crud).

I'm curious to know why there doesn't seem to be any documentation for the SEV, its only mentioned in the back of the Haynes stromberg manual.

The two pictures are for the front carb, not yet dismantled.

IMG_3014.JPG

IMG_3015.JPG

IMG_3016.JPG

yes I believe the later carbs just have the choke mechanism on one and a feed pipe to other - that looks like the black tube in the 2nd pic but I cant see what it connects to in the last photo.

Also as one threaded end does the linkage and whats its other threaded end for then?

6 minutes ago, johny said:

yes I believe the later carbs just have the choke mechanism on one and a feed pipe to other - that looks like the black tube in the 2nd pic but I cant see what it connects to in the last photo.

Also as one threaded end does the linkage and whats its other threaded end for then?

My CDSE ‘s have 1 choke with linkage 

ABF13A03-0A5A-4CC3-97AA-E2769199FBB4.thumb.jpeg.d0ea53075e3d84d60f948b6b6b0bee1c.jpeg

Paul 

58 minutes ago, johny said:

I get it, so the brass sticky out tube for the choke connector hose is missing on Adrians rear carb....

Yes I would agree , looks like the choke connector pipe has broken off 

Paul

Getting confused here as there seems to be a real mix and match going on. Carb tabs are CD150SE, spindle is closer to CD150SEV (based on the Burlens rebuild kit) BUT Burlens don't list a 124mm double ended spindle. The needle is B5DG which is for a 2000 running 150CD-3's. An earlier picture of the carbs are below and as can be seen the throttle linkage appears to be standard so I am asking myself if I've got a CD150SE rebuild kit and the carb body is standard between the models concerned then.......can I use the supplied spindles and make it standard OR are they actually CD-3's? Or has a PO just used an extender on the end of a shorter spindle?IMG_0750.thumb.JPG.b0778f5bf2198da0cc1ee8c9df6b3b53.JPG

Might be the photo but choke connector pipe is there, check the second photo. As far as I can see the extender and what appears to be a stop tab on the left of the right hand carb doesnt actually do anything?

So whilst they are the wrong needles and a possible adapted spindle have I got it right? That way the carb tags would be correct then. 

stripped carb.jpeg

sorry but definitely no choke pipe unless it pulled out and is still stuck in end of the rubber pipe on the other carb. Also you havent said what the two threaded ends on the same spindle do - doesnt the throttle cable connect to the other threaded end of the spindle shown in your pic of the rear carb?

31 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Yes I would agree , looks like the choke connector pipe has broken off 

Surely it must be connected to the rear carb or petrol would p*ss out when the choke was activated? 

The unthreaded spindle with brass connecting bar and curly links as Paul's is simple. You could use one of the old spindles as the connecting bar and just need to buy (if you don't have any) two curly links. 

Iain 

Following on with another question. There is an o ring at the base of the dash pot to prevent too much loss of oil . The rebuild kit doesn’t have a replacement so how do I know if I need a new one, how long should a top up of oil last, I don’t think I’d get more than 50 odd miles

018F5377-FD2E-4494-BA8F-2588F52C193A.jpeg