Cat dried food recall ...Hills

Pete Lewis

received this recently  we dont use thes brands but  may be of interest to some who do
there is along list on the link 
Pete

We are becoming aware of an increase in cats falling ill with a rare condition called pancytopenia. The issue has been identified by The Royal Veterinary College London and they are currently leading investigations in to the rise in cases. 

A product recall has been issued as a precautionary measure by the manufacturer of some dry cat food ranges, whilst further investigations are carried out. Full details of the recalled diets can be found here: https://www.food.gov.uk/news-alerts/alert/fsa-prin-36-2021 

If you feed one of these diets we would advise you to stop feeding it immediately, and to contact the shop that you purchased it from.

Pancytopenia is a reduction in the levels of red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets. Clinical signs include lethargy, a high temperature, pale gums, blood in the urine or faeces (faeces will usually be dark or black). Small areas of bruising to the skin or gums may also be seen. If you notice any of these signs please contact your vet immediately.

If you think your cat may have been affected please ask you vet to complete this questionnaire: https://rvc.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/pancytopenia

More information:
https://www.rvc.ac.uk/.../rvc-study-to-investigate...https://www.rvc.ac.uk/news-and-events/rvc-news/rvc-study-to-investigate-mysterious-recent-spike-in-severe-feline-pancytopenia-cases

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

Jehovah Gothic?

I only ask because I think Pete's "lack of icons and descriptions in boxes" problem is down to a font that TSSC forum app doesn't recognise. 

Doug

Me being daft Doug, the Christening Font.....

Tony.

The RVC has published this:

We can confirm that we are aware of a series of cases of fatal pancytopenia in cats in the UK.

“After noticing an increase in cats presenting with pancytopenia (a severe reduction in all major types of blood cells) in May, we have been gathering data from UK vets from these affected cats. Based on the evidence to date, the one aspect of these cases that formed a consistent pattern was the diet of the affected individuals.

“We are currently aware of more than 130 affected cats, and have information relating to the diet in approximately 80 per cent of cases reported. From the data shared, most cats show some non-specific signs for around two days before being seen by a vet. Common signs include lethargy and loss of appetite, although in some cases there are signs of spontaneous bleeding or bruising. We encourage owners to contact their veterinary practice if they are worried that their cat may be affected.

“Given this apparent association with diet, we welcome the Food Standards Agency’s (FSA) product recall notice. While we have not definitively established diet as the cause of pancytopenia in these cats, we are continuing to liaise with the pet food industry and regulatory bodies to investigate the matter and identify the possible underlying causes of this extremely serious condition.

“To further support these efforts, we are encouraging vets who have seen these cases to complete our survey

The Food Standards Agency has published a list of brands that have been recalled:  https://www.food.gov.uk/news-alerts/alert/fsa-prin-36-2021

John

Well I thought that there couldn't be a thread title that would stop me drinking my tea after all the time I've (mis)spent on this forum, well this one did.

We have 4 cats and 2 of them are very 'floppy' after a walk of 5 metres from one room to another they are exhausted and just flop down to recuperate.

If it wasn't for the fact that this evening they'll be out terrorising the local wildlife I would be worried.

They say a cat sleeps 18 hours a day, I can't confirm it as ours hide so I can't time them

Ours wake up at the same time every day - one hour after I've gone to bed.

Scratch scratch scratch at the bedroom door. I have to wake up, get up, and throw them out.

They also want fed ten minutes into whichever program I'm watching, and will cry until they get it. Should I be out and about all day... sit down about 10pm, telly on... squeak squeak squeak. Feed me.

Mine was, the vet and I think, hit by a car about a month ago.    Found her crying piteously, and apparently with paralysed back legs!   But the vet found a dislocated hip and undisplaced pelvic fracture.  He prescribed "cage rest", the cat equiv. of bed rest, for FOUR WEEKS!

I thought that she would go stir crazy in days, but in fact was very good indeed, and as said above spent much of the time asleep!

Freedom Day was last Sunday, and I was delighted to find that she walks without a limp and can jump up or down from a chair.  So, brilliant!   Thanks to the exactcellent care from Bay Vets!

55 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Freedom Day was last Sunday, and I was delighted to find that she walks without a limp and can jump up or down from a chair.  So, brilliant!   Thanks to the exactcellent care from Bay Vets!

Brilliant. You really feel for them when they're in pain. My wee mate Paud from the early 1990s, one of the best cats I ever had, was hit by a car too and all the Vet could do was give him masses of painkillers and let the pelvis heal by itself.

Unfortunately this meant he felt no pain so had no inclination to lie down, and kept moving about which no doubt hindered the healing. Thankfully he made a full recovery.

paud046.thumb.jpg.7e4abbf3807c73c022399852c00d3e49.jpg

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Ours wake up at the same time every day - one hour after I've gone to bed.

Scratch scratch scratch at the bedroom door. I have to wake up, get up, and throw them out.

They also want fed ten minutes into whichever program I'm watching, and will cry until they get it. Should I be out and about all day... sit down about 10pm, telly on... squeak squeak squeak. Feed me.

Yes they do have their little mannerisms. Like when we are having breakfast or coffee in the veranda one in particular will decline to go out of the door I have generously opened for her that she was looking through. but 30 seconds after I sit down will scratch at the glass to be let out. Totally ignoring the fact that the veranda has a cat flap for their sole use!

27 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

I'm sure that they wouldn't mind you using it if you were desperate enough.

I don't think they would like it, they might be worried it would be then thin edge of the wedge. First their cat flap then their biscuits with our appero.

7 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Volunteer to test it out required . . .

Supple joints, strong bones, vitality and health, bounding about like a spring lamb... and that's just after my first dog biscuit.

'Bone shaped biscuits for dog shaped dogs.' Bonio. I thought he was the singer in U2?

have you seen the Mars Co film they make loads of cat and dog food  have about 200 animals well looked after 

measuer and test what goes in and what comes out  and they do have staff taste  testers   and product developement teams  Yummy 

woof !! 

Pete