Replacement distributers

Kevin.payne.15

Hi last week I took the GT6 to a rolling road setup but didn't get that far because it turned out that I had inadvertently created a problem replacing the vacuum advance pipe to the distributer which was causing too much advance (45 deg) when it should be about 33 deg max

As a way forward he disconnected the pipe and blocked it to get the engine running smoother if rather uninspiring

The recommended way forward was to fit a 123 distributer or equivalent. I've looked them up but they look like they only replace Lucas units where mine is a delco remy unit

General timing was difficult as the rotor was very worn.

Any suggestions how to resolve ?

Kevin

yes max  mechanical advance is around 29/31 deg at 3000 rpm, you add to this the vac unit which  if its lucas will have the deg advance on its canister, you add this to the dynamic and if the vac gives 15 then 45 is correct  if it gives 7 then 45 is too much,

delco dont mark the canister you need to look in the WSM data .

the vac unit is controlled by the spring inside ,if its failed you get too much vac advance when cruising  at full throttle it does not advance any extra at all.

if the  Lucas centrifugal is excessive a set of new springs will correct it cheaply,  if its a Delco unui they are not diy repairable...only to destruction 

just some clues before you jump 

Pete

Thanks for this. How do I determine what the advance retard curve will be from a rebuilt distributer. My concern is that I'll go to that expense and it still won't suit the car setup. I think that was why he was suggesting the 123 distributer alternative since you could then program it to suit the car

Kevin

A recon shoulds match the oe spec

if your cars modified and needs something away form normal then a progamable one is a way to go

why was connecting the vac unit a mistake ,????? These are purely a economy device that advances

at low load partial throttle running , like cruising, they have no effect on acceleration as they dont advance

with wide throttle opening, and are not driven by manifold vacuum, but a small port which the airflow across the throttle plates vortex makes a vacuum

the gain is around 4mpg

If you run a std car on road then surelyn just use the triumph specs

pete

Pete. It's almost standard. I had to do an engine rebuild and it's got a piper cam but just their road one but I'm just nervous to get a rebuild and then find out it's not matched to the car. Hence my desire to find out what advance it will provide then I was going to ask the engine tuner if it will match

I didn't really understand your first post could you please explain. The worn distributed delivered 45 to 47 and that was too much. And removing the vac advance restricted this to 33 ish but then at Tickover it ran rough. So much for a six cylinder.

Kevin

33deg At 3000 rpm with the vac off is close /about spot on. But tired springs may make the curve rather steeper than specified but with the same max as this is limited by the bob weight carrier inside

the vac unit will advance extra on top of the static/dynamic while reving a light no load engine

on a rolling dyno it should applyy enough load to enable wide throttle opening and the vac unit would behave as on the road, at full power it should add nothing as the vac that operates it is down to nil

the vac works most at medium to light openings for max advantages when cruising not accelerating

If they measured high vacuum advance under load then something is wrong, the vac spring has probably failed,

the vac unit adds to the centrifugal , delco dont put the data on the canister

if you have the delco numbers off the side of the vac unit it can be identified what advance it should give

let me know will try to look it up and compare with what they found