new fuel coming soon.

dave49

The cynic in me, Is thinking The amount of "super unlead" they are likely to sell is (relatively) small. So?. Lets make it so much more expensive that they`l all give up, use octane boosters instead, and we can stop selling it altogether and concentrate on "core" market?. After all the "Big Boys" ar`nt going to worry about losing sleep over the (relatively) miniscule "classic" market.

Discuss?

Pete

I'd rather go for the super as its not E10. And the amount of miles I do the extra cost is not significant. When I had my Disco, I was spending over £5k in fuel a year - my current modern is below £1500 - to be fair I'm also doing about 8k miles a year less at the moment, but even then the cost has halved.

I keep hoping that Aral will open a station near me so I can buy their 102. 

I suspect the actual price difference between regular and Super is fractions of a penny, but the super is a Premium product so needs to be at a premium price.

And if they were both the same price, which would you buy??? 

That would undoubtedly make the government put a premium tax in place to ensure they sell more of the E10.

Will be interesting to see what happens when ethanol is more expensive to produce than petrol, theoretically making E10 more expensive.

47 minutes ago, thescrapman said:

I keep hoping that Aral will open a station near me so I can buy their 102. 

I suspect the actual price difference between regular and Super is fractions of a penny, but the super is a Premium product so needs to be at a premium price.

And if they were both the same price, which would you buy??? 

That would undoubtedly make the government put a premium tax in place to ensure they sell more of the E10.

Will be interesting to see what happens when ethanol is more expensive to produce than petrol, theoretically making E10 more expensive.

I did wonder if the govt applied fuel duty on  e10 at a lower rate, but there is a flat rate tax of 57.95p/litre. So yes, I can see fuel duty changing at some point to incentivise us.

15 minutes ago, clive said:

I can see fuel duty changing at some point to incentivise us.

Sadly, So can I, It`s a bit "back to the 80`s". Diesel was cheaper, we all got diesel cars. Then the Taxed price went to 10p more than "regular". The only benefit of diesel was MPG. That gap narrowed with the mass introducton of EFI into (virtually) all cars. Now of course the diesel is villified because of "soot", so we have expensive "kit" which many do not realise requires regeneration periodically, OR a very large bill for it`s replacement. ALL politically (and self interest) driven of course.

Pete

Very interesting piece in the newspapers at the weekend on Ethanol; according to the journalist it's all driven by American crop farmers, particularly the corn growers, who pushed the USA Government in 1985 to add ethanol made from corn. It emits fewer emissions at the car exhaust but actually causes more pollution to create than petrol. 

HM Gov claims that the reduction in exhaust emissions by using ethanol will be the equivalent of putting 650,000 cars off UK roads. I think they mean that literally.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

"Discussing" Fuel prices with eldest son over the weekend, he lives in Texas. This Morning I topped off the Diesel locally (£1.49 Litre)!!. He`s currently paying $2.10 a GALLON. Probably just as well His latest "acquisition" does 7mpg!!.

I cannot "get" the Ethanol idea. How does farming "corn" to produce fuel, help with a global shortage of staple foods?. Especially when there is actually a global surplus of Oil?. It`s like the rush to close mines and demolish Coal fired power stations?. When carbon capture was actually a viable prospect?. Drax "B" had a plant running for years, part of which was fed to nearby hot houses to improve Yield!, as well as heating the hot houses with the output from the Turbines.

Pete

Could not resist posting here.

I lived through several fuel crises. It was 4 gallons for a pound back in the 1960's. It's way past £4 for a gallon now. I transferred to diesel for the main car in 2005. Five cylinder Audi 2.4L six speed. It ran on 100% Bio wich I obtained from a farm in 2008 when fuel rocketed to 132ppl. Bio was 114ppl. it did 45 to 50 mpg weekly commuting.

Then had a Skoda 1.9L Octavia that did 50 to 70mpg. That had a DPF and Cat so I back tracked to diesels without a DPF. I had a BMW 330D for 13 years but a van wrote it off. Shame, as it was fun and economical.  I am sticking with diesels pre DPF era until I cannot find one.

The most I ever obtained from a petrol car was 50mpg in a wee Peugeot 106, 1100cc.

Too much to go wrong with anything post 2004 and Straight sixes petrol and diesel will be history soon (sadly) due to the ULEZ restrictions. Motoring will be no fun unless we have a nippy classic eh? OK electric cars are nippy but they don't do it for me.

Shame we cannot convert ICE's to Hydrogen, I agree that growing plants for fuel is ridiculous, We need plants for food. We can get gas from our sewage and bio-digestion.

Those of you with kids/grandkids get them interested in all possibilities or life on the road will be very dull. I had a motorbike before the 70 mph limit. It was not enforced properly for many years, so I had real fun, even with a 70bhp car.

I did look seriously at a 1980 Winnebago. 7.2litre V8?. But tax and ULEZ exempt, runs on LPG. Lot of a "project", the interior needs some serious upgrades, but the rest of the underpinning`s where in reasonable condition. And of course would need my LGV back which is an annual Medical!. My little Peugeot 107 does in excess of 55mpg with a £25 annual tax and cheap insurance. We actually rode without helmets, before they became mandatory, and up to the magic "ton". One guy swore he`d convert to being a Sikh, and just wear a turban!. Youth (and testosterone). One of the big drawbacks to Anaerobic digestion is cleaning the gas, it naturally has a high sulphor content, which is not good for the engine`s (or boilers), and the by product, a sludge, is devoid of oxygen and lethal to the environment!.

Pete