New spring fitted causing positive camber

Hi. I've just fitted a new swing spring onto the GT6 mk 3 and have significant positive camber. Hard to guess how much but must be a 3 to 5 deg per side

Makes going round corners somewhat interesting and improves fuel economy cos I'm scared to drive the car round corners now

Any suggestions how to resolve

Kevin

Did you tighten all the bolts up when the car was on the ground? at least the ones that go through bushes?

If that was correct, then the next thing is to get something heavy in the boot, think 100kg. Drive round a bit, over a few gentle speed humps etc.

If that fails, you can use a spring lowering block. Don't forget to check the rear wheel toe in. Anything out there will make the car horrible to drive.

No, as it softens the camber goes more negative.

I would get the car up on ramps at the back, loosen the bolts off, and retighten. Ideally with weight in the back. This is important as the rubber bushes will be adding tension to the spring. Also assume you checked the lower trunnions were not seized? that can cause problems.

Just checking what you mean by positive camber. You do mean wheels doing this \----/      not  /----\

and a thought,     if as Clive asks , \--/  you may have the wrong length spring from a 1500 with long shafts or if its /--\  its too weak for the weight of the gt6

having been through some nightmares on my vitesse6 with a swinger I have an avid hate of the things now., fine on a spit..nice and light 

Pete

canley  sell kits to suit the model,  but that may be just the smaller add  on's for brake pipe, brackets etc

we had a vitesse kit and  /--\   ended up at over 10deg ,     guess youre  quite right 

never studied it much other than keep taking the pills till it got removed .

Yes it's definitely \----/ that I'm suffering from. I'll try and loosen bolts when on the ground and re tighten. Ride height is now an inch higher than the old one and much much stiffer spring but at least it's more level than it was

It's a swing spring as well fro clarity.

I'm concerned that I just have a rubbish retro one. I'll try driving with a weight in the back but sooner or later im going to have to go round a corner !

Kevin

My old herald estate sat high with a new spring. Right up until I loaded it up with a rather large quantity of floor tiles (probably 250+kg) and drove home which included a number of "easy" speed humps. That got it nice and level.

If it remains high, as I said earlier a spring lowering block can be used. Very simple and effective.

As to swing spring V roto, it is trcky, but I am afraid ultimately roto wins on the basis it has MUCH reduced camber change. However, swing is rather simpler and lighter, but my current car is roto and the roadholding when pressing on id rather better than my old swing spring car. Both well maintained (and driven with absolutely no mercy shown)

It depends on if they are seized or worn. And you can only check that with the spring disconnected.....

So it may be worth getting a set in, plus new bolts(!) and do it anyway. Even if they are difficult, it shouldn't be a huge job. And if they are fine, keep the kits for a year or 2 down the line.

One thing, I don't see how the leaves (except the bottom one) can be thicker, otherwise they will not fit in the spring box?

• 1 month later...

A bit late in the day, but I have a swing spring setup on my 13/60 saloon. Thicker front roll bar from Rimmer, secondhand spring box from Spitfire Graveyard, new GT6 spring from Fitchetts. Relatively east to do, gives very slight negative camber on rear wheels, and much improves handling. The spring has less leaves than the original but each leaf is much thicker. Dave.

Something else to think about....

If the ride height has changed, then the rear toe in/out will change too. This can have an horrific affect on the way the car drives. Worth checking and adjusting

(2 bricks, 2 straight edges, I use 1m lengths of 5mm thick steel bar which I acquired a while ago, and a tape measure plus assiatant. That is all to get an accurate measurement)