My Dynamo is howling :(

Jeffds1360

18 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

I've drip fed the rear but what can you do for the front bearings.

Very good question. I haven't an answer though, but someone will be along with at least 1.

I shall keep an eye for replies

Hello Jeff

I have a rebuilt Dynamo that has not done many miles going spare if you are interested?

I have the paper work for the repairs somewhere!

I came off our Mk1 Vitesse as I am going to an Alternator

Roger

• Thanks 1

The front bearing is sealed and lubed for life however Ive just had to change mine as on spinning by hand I could feel it was rough. I didnt even have to buy the new one from a Triumph place as theyre available very cheaply direct from bearing suppliers on ebay.

The two problems I had were that I bashed the threaded end of the shaft (pulley end) to push it through the bearing and its very, but very soft so it bulged out quite severely. The repair was to reform the thread which was succesful but time consuming.

The other issue was that the woodruff key was stuck in the shaft and again was so soft that it was destroyed trying to remove it. In the end I filed it flat and drilled a small hole in it to install a short pin for locating the drive pulley👍

Other than Bearing Noise, Is the Dyno, working? (Ie electrical out put?) If so from memory. the bearings are/where replaceable, while you at it, refurb and undercut the Comutator too?, with new brushes. p.s if you decide on that course, go for good grade bearings.

Pete

4 minutes ago, johny said:

The front bearing is sealed and lubed for life however Ive just had to change mine as on spinning by hand I could feel it was rough. I didnt even have to buy the new one from a Triumph place as theyre available very cheaply direct from bearing suppliers on ebay.

The two problems I had were that I bashed the threaded end of the shaft (pulley end) to push it through the bearing and its very, but very soft so it bulged out quite severely. The repair was to reform the thread which was succesful but time consuming.

The other issue was that the woodruff key was stuck in the shaft and again was so soft that it was destroyed trying to remove it. In the end I filed it flat and drilled a small hole in it to install a short pin for locating the drive pulley👍

oh yes and the WSM shows it all😁

I "upgraded" the Vitesse back in the 80`s to an Alternator, about the last time I had anything to do with Dyno`s. But Dynamo`s are on the whole relatively simple machines. A good bearing supplier will be able to provide a quality sealed bearing. I always went for SKF, back when I was doing such things especially on industrial production machinery or marine Pumps etc;. IF you know the bearing Number. I have a book with hundreds of "equivalents"?. As I said in a previous post, it`s well worth "doing" the comutator and fitting new brushes while its dismantled.

Pete

It looks like I have sourced a 'new' (40miles on clock) from a member on here which I will purchase next week. I'll swap it over and then investigate and repair the old one.  :)

I now have 2 half shafts, a 25D distributor (no advance springs) and a 150CD carb all sorted and spare! Also another hard top....Plum was first registered 50 years ago last week and I forgot his birthday on the 15th but his presents surround him!!

All is silent ... all is swell (sweet and well) :)

Fitted the C40L with a ? 3/8 ? ish spacer and it is soooooo quiet!

Never realised how noisy the old one was. which goes click diddy click, click wham boo, just spinning by hand !!!

Now to get those overider cages jammed up :(.... separate post and problem :(

Thanky you Mr Rogerguzzy

49 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

All is silent ... all is swell (sweet and well) :)

Fitted the C40L with a ? 3/8 ? ish spacer and it is soooooo quiet!

Never realised how noisy the old one was. which goes click diddy click, click wham boo, just spinning by hand !!!

Now to get those overider cages jammed up :(.... separate post and problem :(

Thanky you Mr Rogerguzzy

Hello Jeff

Did the bracket I sent you not fit then?

Roger

To tell truth Roger, I never even tried it! When I placed your new one in, I just noted the gap and as I had a handy spacer that size, I just slipped it in and after swoping the bolts round all was lined up and I fired Plum up and it was so quiet, I was overjoyed.

I have now stripped the dynamo. I found NO felt ring in the rear, so any oil had nowhere to live. That bearing is sound though. 

I'm trying to drill the rivets out of the front retaining plate.....what the heck are the made of???

I centre punched them from the 'inside' and have been trying for hours, using my 3, 4 & 5mm tungsten drills. So far, I'm through on one and it seems way off centre. 

Any tips or hints please?

20210706_153250.jpg

16255839900448328921831236936334.jpg

Looks like I will have to resort to grinding Peter, the rivets are very hard material and the heads are not central to the holes in the plate.

You know the 'oiler' the felt washer at the other end, which was missing, is there an off the shelf/home made substitute for this?

I also read there is a felt washer under the drive end bearing so if/when I get the bearing out (and replace it), if the washer needs replacing,  what is best to use there?

I guess these felt washers just act as oil 'reservoirs' ???

If I wasn't doing this, I'd probably be in the bar...hic. :)

On 24/06/2021 at 13:06, PeteH said:

p.s if you decide on that course, go for good grade bearings.

Pete

I.agree with this 100%. The cheap bearings available are cheap for a reason. If used you are building in unreliability.