Classic’s for brassic’’s

Mark Seniac

A neighbour asked the other day “what’s a cheap classic that’s reliable and affordable? 
too be honest I couldn’t think of an answer as all classics potentially they will cost you money eventually. But it got me thinking is there a basic classic car preferably a TRIUMPH !! That is cheaper too buy. a starter car and possibly affordable too maintain for someone on a budget that wants too enter the world of classic car ownership ?.

2 minutes ago, Anglefire said:

Actually I think any of the smaller 80’s marques will be suitable. 
So Triumph, MG, Morris - such as Small chassis triumphs, mg sprite, mgb, Morris minor. 
etc

Hi anglefire 

thank you.
I have looked for him on various auction and classified sites earlier today unfortunately not knowing the problems certain models are prone too have I’m uncertain as what too advise ... 

If you are going to get a classic car it has to be one you like, no point getting one you don't care about. If you like it, you don't mind spending on the bits it needs. If you love it you will spend on bits for it you want. If you don't care about it , you will bodge it to get by or generally not look after it. So as to this i would tell your neighbour to get a car that they like and can afford. 

1 hour ago, Mathew said:

If you are going to get a classic car it has to be one you like, no point getting one you don't care about. If you like it, you don't mind spending on the bits it needs. If you love it you will spend on bits for it you want. If you don't care about it , you will bodge it to get by or generally not look after it. So as to this i would tell your neighbour to get a car that they like and can afford. 

Fair advice mathew he’s only got 6k but it’s what he has saved over time I told him too buy one around 4K leaving him a bit incase any problems occur “which they will” .... 

2 hours ago, Mathew said:

+1

Only get a car that you will 'love'

Anything less and it will rot in front of your eyes.

If you can't afford it don;t get it.

Roger

6 minutes ago, RogerH said:

+1

Only get a car that you will 'love'

Anything less and it will rot in front of your eyes.

If you can't afford it don;t get it.

Roger

Morning Roger. he mentioned he likes the Herald hopefully he does his homework and considers the advice that I’ll show him off this thread on Sunday evening. I did say too him it can be a minefield.. 

+2  and also browse the web for can you get support for the car of your choice 

all classics are or can be reliable its the lack of care understanding or cheapskate that makes  any car new or old unreliable

all the classics around took families on holidays , shopping  the commute to work for many good years without fault .

the Herald is a good starter  snappy design  attractive  uncomplicated  car easy to work on parts available and gets a smile while driving 

pete

6 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

+2  and also browse the web for can you get support for the car of your choice 

all classics are or can be reliable its the lack of care understanding or cheapskate that makes  any car new or old unreliable

all the classics around took families on holidays , shopping  the commute to work for many good years without fault .

the Herald is a good starter  snappy design  attractive  uncomplicated  car easy to work on parts available and gets a smile while driving 

pete

Pete the last bit of your reply... good starter uncomplicated.... mirrors his thoughts... 

I hope he chooses well he’s a nice lad only late twenties so he’s going in the right direction “classic” 

If he works out which marque of car he likes, joining the relevant club or at least attending a few meetings / shows are a great start. You can see your preferred car in the flesh, see how you fit in it or whether or not it looks as good as it does in photographs - some classics look amazing until you actually see one then you realise how small, cramped and unsuitable they actually are. The camera does lie.

Definitely stay away from 'general' help sites such as Honest John, they're wildly inaccurate.

1973990541_ScreenShot2021-04-19at18_27_32.png.e408c571cd5cc4a1579e4fb5dc76e3da.png

832632303_ScreenShot2021-04-19at18_20_40.png.1367b5daea007118daa3c923f1cc78b7.png

UPDATE on the neighbour : 🧐

He has seen a car on fleabay !!!!! 🥴

OMG....  I’ll find out the info and let you all know what’s on his mind ? 🥴

I’m pooping round when I get home see if I can get a pic.... I hope it’s good news.  
I’ve passed on the relevant posts off here.

gulp!!!! Why am I feeling nervous... lol 

Right sorry for the delay been back ages wife been bending my ear hole !!!! And I was posting on non triumph thread ....

ANYWAY are you ready for this !!!!!! ? 
here’s the car he’s looking at ..... 

7B5A7FEC-CBEA-4E1C-B30B-B13989585F0A.thumb.jpeg.7babfd7b40b5b578e3f8a68b8debfc66.jpeg

I can’t believe him !!!!!!!! Had too put him straight and give him a quick lesson in thought processing!!!!!! And enlightenment... a dose of reality was needed.... 

1 minute ago, Mark Seniac said:

Right sorry for the delay been back ages wife been bending my ear hole !!!! And I was posting on non triumph thread ....

ANYWAY are you ready for this !!!!!! ? 
here’s the car he’s looking at ..... 

7B5A7FEC-CBEA-4E1C-B30B-B13989585F0A.thumb.jpeg.7babfd7b40b5b578e3f8a68b8debfc66.jpeg

I can’t believe him !!!!!!!! Had too put him straight and give him a quick lesson in thought processing!!!!!! And enlightenment... a dose of reality was needed.... 

ohhh and there’s this !!!!! Lol talk about jumping in at the deep end !!!! Silly sausage 

D6BF97A2-9CAE-4E08-9AA0-33AF42E43EE9.thumb.jpeg.40eae10a8f093ee095d1d103e9b9bdcb.jpeg

I hate to say this, But I turned down a similar (but converible) when the guy wouldnt come below £1400. That ran too and had an MOT only just expired. I`ve spent 5? years now (on and off) getting a "kit of parts" 13/60 to some sort of rolling chassis/body. And I`m retired so don`t have to earn a living as well as doing a full rebuild. The "frilly" door bottoms are only the start.

This:- Is IMV, probably a better bet. But I`d need to crawl all under it, and check thr floors before I`d bid. https://www.mathewsons.co.uk/product/1971-triumph-herald-13-60current-v5-present-paperwork-includes-handbook-and-old-receipt-we-highly-recommend-that-you-view-in-person-any-potential-purchase-and-take-time-to-inspect-paperwork-and-mak/

Pete

3 minutes ago, PeteH said:

I hate to say this, But I turned down a similar (but converible) when the guy wouldnt come below £1400. That ran too and had an MOT only just expired. I`ve spent 5? years now (on and off) getting a "kit of parts" 13/60 to some sort of rolling chassis/body. And I`m retired so don`t have to earn a living as well as doing a full rebuild. The "frilly" door bottoms are only the start.

Pete

I’ll show him this Pete if you don’t mind he thought it would be a month or two ...

bless him 

thanks Pete 

Mark