Classic’s for brassic’’s

Mark Seniac

1 minute ago, PeteH said:

Ive, updated the post Above.

Pete

Just been looking at it Pete... I’ll show him that one but he would have too ensure he takes someone that knows the extent of the work to be done “he’s obviously eager too get a car but I’ve told him to be patient and maybe buy one off a reputable owner that has had it for a while and wants too pass it on ... 

thanks for your thoughts and help ... 

mark 

No sweat, He appears to be in the wrong frame of mind for a deep project. I`ve been around vehicles for better than 60 years now. It`s not having the money, it`s spending it wisely. Some of the stuff being sold has hidden defects. I bought mine "eyes wide open". AND I wanted a blank canvas. so £600 for a parts kit was really only the cost of the items.

Pete

12 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

one thing he needs to check out is the cost of insurance for a youngster  its caused a lot of young drives to get a modern 

due to the loading put on young drivers in a classic due to some daft rules they use 

pete

Morning Pete I passed your thoughts over too him I think he’s going too get a quote over the weekend..

15 hours ago, PeteH said:

I hate to say this, But I turned down a similar (but converible) when the guy wouldnt come below £1400. That ran too and had an MOT only just expired. I`ve spent 5? years now (on and off) getting a "kit of parts" 13/60 to some sort of rolling chassis/body. And I`m retired so don`t have to earn a living as well as doing a full rebuild. The "frilly" door bottoms are only the start.

My £1400 convertible came with a full MOT, plus a seized brake caliper and terminal rust. It went off the road in 2008 and is still in bits. Unless you can do all of the work yourself, or have someone who will do it for you, it becomes quite expensive. I also have two or three other Heralds I can pinch parts off or use as reference which is a real God-send. Over lockdown I was putting in full days in the garage and at times it seems there's still so much needs doing.

Unless he wants to start on a project now, and have it on the road in a number of years when his Insurance will be cheaper, it's best to buy a good drivable car that needs only minor work.

53 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

My £1400 convertible came with a full MOT, plus a seized brake caliper and terminal rust. It went off the road in 2008 and is still in bits. Unless you can do all of the work yourself, or have someone who will do it for you, it becomes quite expensive. I also have two or three other Heralds I can pinch parts off or use as reference which is a real God-send. Over lockdown I was putting in full days in the garage and at times it seems there's still so much needs doing.

Unless he wants to start on a project now, and have it on the road in a number of years when his Insurance will be cheaper, it's best to buy a good drivable car that needs only minor work.

Hi Colin that’s a point the insurance keeps popping up in comments “is it that expensive for his age ?.... I hope he does his homework on that one...  but great idea get the car now and work on it make it a pride and joy project then when it’s read probably he’ll have greater satisfaction.... 

mark 

11 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I'm no long standing expert but you can't make snap desicions. Your neighbor needs to decide what he likes for his purse and monitor the market then make a desicion on what is available at the time, ideally if he wants a specific make / model he can gen up on it through website forums, buyers guides, manuals, etc to really understand what he can and can't do and what the implications are on his purse. He won't get it all right first time but at least he would be entering into it with eyes partially open.

Adrian

7 hours ago, Adrian said:

I'm no long standing expert but you can't make snap desicions. Your neighbor needs to decide what he likes for his purse and monitor the market then make a desicion on what is available at the time, ideally if he wants a specific make / model he can gen up on it through website forums, buyers guides, manuals, etc to really understand what he can and can't do and what the implications are on his purse. He won't get it all right first time but at least he would be entering into it with eyes partially open.

Adrian

Agreed Adrian... I remember my first classic It was a Sunbeam Stiletto F reg bought it on the strap!! I was young thinking back it was in extremely good condition, fast and scary. I didn’t have a licence and I certainly did not have the means too maintain it BUT it was great!!! Unfortunately LOL I warped the engine and My late father took the car on himself bless him I think he secretly adored it. he had the head done also fitted a new wiring loom pulled out the slight dent I had in it (my fault) and Commandeered the car for himself lol.... he kept it for three years I think it was .. we as a family still revert too it as Dads car ..  shame I haven’t any pics bronze in colour with a black vinyl roof ... 🥲 lol

Stilleto, Probably the prettiest car (fast back?) to come from the old "Hillman" stable. Based on the Minx if I remember?. With  a "performance" Engine?.

I Looked at one, back in the early 80`s. But finished up with the Mk 2 Capri, 2Litre because it had the auto box (and unusually, PAS) which my wife needed.

Pete

Back in the day, i bought not what i calla classic then but it was sort of. A talbot alpine,  with a years mot for the princely sum of 50 quid. It was mainly red with different colour doors , boot lid and bonnet, or was it blue anyway it was close to both. Drove it to the isle of white, sold it to my brother for 50 then a few months later he sold it back to me for 50. Finally sold it on for 50 when i bought a mk2 cavalier 1.6.

25 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Stilleto, Probably the prettiest car (fast back?) to come from the old "Hillman" stable. Based on the Minx if I remember?. With  a "performance" Engine?.

I Looked at one, back in the early 80`s. But finished up with the Mk 2 Capri, 2Litre because it had the auto box (and unusually, PAS) which my wife needed.

Pete

Morning Pete

yes a great car worth a bit now as well 🥴

If there was a car I would go out my way to own again it would be this one not just for its wonderful design and performance but for the memories of it being in truth my first classic and the one car my DAD found great joy with even though he literally took it off me !!l lol . Fond memories bless him .... 

CAPRI .... loved them !! 

5 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Back in the day, i bought not what i calla classic then but it was sort of. A talbot alpine,  with a years mot for the princely sum of 50 quid. It was mainly red with different colour doors , boot lid and bonnet, or was it blue anyway it was close to both. Drove it to the isle of white, sold it to my brother for 50 then a few months later he sold it back to me for 50. Finally sold it on for 50 when i bought a mk2 cavalier 1.6.

Morning Mathew 

lol £50 wouldn’t buy you much now !!! 
I was the same £35 £50 was my memories of cost for run arounds .. I did pay £70 quid for a landcrab !!!!! Lol

4 minutes ago, Mark Seniac said:

CAPRI .... loved them !! 

When we lived In Surrey, Back in the 80`s. Our Neighbours son had a JPS, Black with the Gold Lining. 2.8litre?. Both my young Teen son`s used to hang around when he was Working on it or polishing it. Eventually, he did give them a ride in it!. Made their day!. My oldest, who lives in the USA, Just Parted with a Camero!. (or Sh*t off a shovel, as he calls it). I was real pi**ed off, as I never got out there to drive it!.

Pete

Just now, PeteH said:

When we lived In Surrey, Back in the 80`s. Our Neighbours son had a JPS, Black with the Gold Lining. 2.8litre?. Both my young Teen son`s used to hang around when he was Working on it or polishing it. Eventually, he did give them a ride in it!. Made their day!. My oldest, who lives in the USA, Just Parted with a Camero!. (or Sh*t off a shovel, as he calls it). I was real pi**ed off, as I never got out there to drive it!.

Pete

My eldest goes to USA a lot “well not at the moment” !!! got a funny story about a camero I’ll see if I can find any pics but it is funny in short he HIRED a beast 2018 brand new at the time. giving its LARGE and left hand drive he was driving in LA and a big brown mail truck side swiped him on the freeway then just disappeared.. my son was distraught being over there he didn’t know if he should chase after him (given they like weapons) or what? so he rang the hire company and explained.... he got it sorted but it cost 7k lol ..... 

3 hours ago, Mark Seniac said:

CAPRI .... loved them !! 

Mate of mine in the 1980s had a 1300 capri... wouldn't pull the skin off custard.

He had a line of black insulating tape along the bottom of the instrument cluster, when I asked why he peeled it off and every single warning light was on. He said they hurt his eyes especially at night so the tape made it easier to drive.

2 minutes ago, Anglefire said:

I had a P reg 3000ltr capri - fabulous car - but handled terribly - especially in the wet - would light up the rear tyres on a sniff of throttle. 

Afternoon Anglefire

I have never driven one but I have heard they handled terrible but they always mentioned they loved the car and how great the styling was/is ... 

3 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Mate of mine in the 1980s had a 1300 capri... wouldn't pull the skin off custard.

He had a line of black insulating tape along the bottom of the instrument cluster, when I asked why he peeled it off and every single warning light was on. He said they hurt his eyes especially at night so the tape made it easier to drive.

How many have done that, Eh!!. And nor JUST Capri`s. Taking the Engine Managment bulb out and hoping the MOT tester don`t notice is the modern equivalent I am informed. The 1300 was the wrong engine for them, "poor mans posing". We used to put "Breathed on" 1600 and 2L Pinto`s into Mk1 Escourts for Club rallying. Went fast, Hard to stop, unless you hit a tree stump!. New timing belt after virtually every event too.

Biggest issue with Capri`s was the Live rear end, and the fact the overall ballance was actually wrong, too much mass over the front end in the more powerfull versions. Bit like a Vitesse, went better with 100cwt of sand in the boot.

Pete

18 minutes ago, Jeffds1360 said:

5 Ton !!!! :)

Yeh! OK!!. Typo Error (honestly!) Am I allowed to blame the 3 pints of Black sheep I had with lunch?.

Pete

2 hours ago, Anglefire said:

I had a P reg 3000ltr capri - fabulous car - but handled terribly - especially in the wet - would light up the rear tyres on a sniff of throttle. 

A 3000ltr, bet it did pull! Thirsty though.

2 hours ago, Anglefire said:

It was only because the back end was so light - it could be driven quite briskly if the loud peddle was controlled and dry but was better with some weight in the back. At the time it was my daily driver - as it was in the mid/late 80's.

Eight bags of cement weighs it down a bit! Every car my dad used was treated as a van. Thats when the bags were 50kg!