Classic’s for brassic’’s

Mark Seniac

10 minutes ago, Mathew said:

A 3000ltr, bet it did pull! Thirsty though.

It did. Something like 60 in under 10seconds from memory. Quick ish for the time. 
though my 3ltr BMW 5-Series estate would do that in under 6 😳. And diesel. 

5 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Eight bags of cement weighs it down a bit! Every car my dad used was treated as a van. Thats when the bags were 50kg!

Now that brings back memories. 1955 Ford Thames 5cwt Van (1172 side valve Engine). Bringing anywhere from 7 to 10 big blokes back to work from the pub on Friday Dinnertime. And I literally broke its back with 1cwt bags of coal for my gran and her sister, when the coal merchants guys went on strike one winter, It got repaired by opening up the chassis rails and cutting Seasoned Oak timbers to fit with a bandsaw and bolting through in two dimesions (before annual MOT`s just the "10year test") got another year out of it bfore parting for a MK1 Ford Consul!.

Pete.

5 hours ago, Anglefire said:

It was only because the back end was so light - it could be driven quite briskly if the loud peddle was controlled and dry but was better with some weight in the back. At the time it was my daily driver - as it was in the mid/late 80's.

I'm sure that I read somewhere that when the police were using Capris they took out the spare wheel and filled the hole with concrete to keep the back end on the road, probably an urban myth. My old 3 litre Ghia was certainly tail happy. The only car that I ever sold for a profit.

I love Capris, sorry.

Had nine, 

2x 1300

2x 1600

2x 2000

2x 3000s

1x 3000 Ghia 

The last one 3.0ghia had the "handling pack" two bars either side from diff to leaf springs. It did make a difference. Wish I had not let that one go. 

For reference 3litre Essex engine 138bhp top speed 123mph 0-60 8.6s

3 minutes ago, andybeau said:

I love Capris, sorry.

Had nine, 

2x 1300

2x 1600

2x 2000

2x 3000s

1x 3000 Ghia 

The last one 3.0ghia had the "handling pack" two bars either side from diff to leaf springs. It did make a difference. Wish I had not let that one go. 

For reference 3litre Essex engine 138bhp top speed 123mph 0-60 8.6s

OK I surender!!!!🙏 I thought I was the Serial Ford owner, But I have had more variety, Everything from a Thames 5cwt van, Mk1 and 2 Consul to the Granada Giha (full X Pack) Leather, Air con AND electric sun roof would you believe!!. I liked my (4) Mk 3 Cortina`s (Coke bottle jobs) Capri`s (2), Escourt`s Mk1, 2 and 3. (not to mention the 2 I wrote off Rallying They don`t count they where only 2 seats and a Roll cage), so I bow to you Humbly.🙏😀

Pete

3 minutes ago, PeteH said:

OK I surrender!!!!🙏 I thought I was the Serial Ford owner,

I suppose every site has them, but all are welcome.. even Ford lovers!!

Edit: Rats, Jeff beat me to it and I second his comment on the banter.

Edited by Badwolf
Jeff beat me to it

:)

I only had Ford Anglias. 997. 3 in a row from 17-19 years if age I think, it was over 50 years ago!

somehow I then got a vitesse 1600 convertible.  That was in early 1971.

I was working in a body shop, the owner took a fancy to it and offered to px. an Anglia that was fully rally prepared. Twin tanks, no external pipes, battery in boot, roll cage flared arches etc etc....... I took it :(

maybe not the right decision???

it was white with a big blue stripe. 

met my future wife due to it's good looks (not mine)

hang on... I have a picture

Santa pod 71/2 ish

20161229_114143.jpg

Bad wolf???? Enhanceable?

Edited by Jeffds1360
Q to bw?

58 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

I'm sure that I read somewhere that when the police were using Capris they took out the spare wheel and filled the hole with concrete to keep the back end on the road, probably an urban myth. My old 3 litre Ghia was certainly tail happy. 

This is the 1.6 Laser version, the Ghia has a more modern tread pattern...

reclaimed-stone-grinding-mill-wheel_29904_pic2_size3.jpg.6e99d9b0cecc5dae8f7d62c7fc712aef.jpg

1 hour ago, PeteH said:

Anyone ever owned a Vauxhall?🤣.

We definitely need a Tongue in the Cheek smiley. Please Mr Moderator?.

Pete

When I bought my first house had a Vauxhall Cavalier RWD bought new which I sold and bought an HC Viva, drum brakes and remould crossplies nearly killed myself more than once in the first week of ownership.

On the plus side never owned a Ford.😀😀😀

Regards.

Paul.

3 hours ago, Badwolf said:

My old 3 litre Ghia was certainly tail happy.

Actually, thinking about it, mine was a Ghia.

2 hours ago, PeteH said:

Pete

I have had a Nova 1.3SR - loved it, but had been breathed on - and then some of the company cars I had which were Vauxhall - Astra 1.7 soft turbo - did over 111k in less than 3 years - and it was off the road for a month when the cam belt snapped on the M6 by manchester airport. Then had a  Vectra - the first one which was pretty crap - thought it was ok till I pulled out of the company car scheme and got an Audi A4!

2 hours ago, PeteH said:

Pete

First car was a Mk2 cavalier, 1.3 maroon. took me from '89 to '96 and 112K then move to toyota. Learnt to drive in a 1.2 Nova. Dad had a rusty Mk3 cortina Estate, I absolutely love the 2 dr saloons with the double headlights (like the GT, gxl) but sadly never owned one although was tempted one summer from Uni to get a 1.6 Capri for £1500, I think the white goodyear script on the tyres were drawing me in!

23 minutes ago, 68vitesse said:

Had a non turbo diesel Astra estate as a company car for a while until I grabbed the redundancy package, fully loaded artics could burn you of at the traffic light grand prix.

Regards

Paul.

To get out of the company car scheme early, I swapped my Vectra for a white Astra Estate - not sure it was turbo'd as I didn't have it long and frankly was unforgettable - you reminded me 🤪 - My Vectra had 9months to run before being out of time and the Astra overdue and the driver wasnt sure what he wanted to do, so it bought him some more time! Both happy!

13 hours ago, PeteH said:

OK I surender!!!!🙏 I thought I was the Serial Ford owner, But I have had more variety, Everything from a Thames 5cwt van, Mk1 and 2 Consul to the Granada Giha (full X Pack) Leather, Air con AND electric sun roof would you believe!!. I liked my (4) Mk 3 Cortina`s (Coke bottle jobs) Capri`s (2), Escourt`s Mk1, 2 and 3. (not to mention the 2 I wrote off Rallying They don`t count they where only 2 seats and a Roll cage), so I bow to you Humbly.🙏😀

Pete

Getting on to between 80 to 100 vehicles,  i really have lost count! At one time i had ten on the road and filled the cul-de-sac i lived in due to a neighbour complaining, about my Herald parked outside! She never complained again. I never used to refuse a car offered if it was the right price. I have swapped, been given, traded labour for all sorts.  Probably only ten of them cost more than a grand. I must admit apart from a spell a couple of years ago when i picked up 3 spitfires for aprox 200 each it has dried up a bit.

how about worst cars  

mine from the many  

a new  1.8 gas guzzling  86  Sierra nightmare

a new  93  Astra 1.9 turbo diesel with a ten minute turbo lag

a new   01  C5 1.8 automatic  that you want to stop here and the gearbox decided youre going to stop over there   

and with torque convertor time lag that got you torpedoed at a roundabout  ( was a ZF box )

I really like my C4 cactus  simple and with 3 cyls at 1.2 litre 

with 130 hp  its a real pocket rocket  its got some  long legs right up to the rev limiter .it just goes  be good in a herald  Ha 

Pete - Forget the new, I'll stick with my 102,000 mile Spitfire. I think it's just about run-in now.

We won't talk about the new(ish) to me Toyota (700miles in 12 months) with more electronics than Maplins ever had, most of which I don't use and those that I do nag me to death....Lady BW.."what does that bleep mean?", me "no idea, has anything dropped off?" Seat belt unfastened, keys are in ignition, door not shut properly, lights on, low petrol, low tyre pressure, you are lost, your flies are undone...give me a rest. Motoring was never like this...get the Spit out, I need some peace and quiet motoring😁

....and talking about dogs (the car kind), a friend once phoned me to ask if I could pick him up instead of him collecting me. He was overjoyed. His Vauxhall Calibra, company car had just been nicked. It had been nothing but trouble since he collected it. The police found it a few miles away it was unrepairable but, you guessed it, it had broken down.

On 27/06/2021 at 19:36, PeteH said:

Pete

My other car is a Zafira 😒.

In my defence I only got it because my wife wanted the extra seats to ferry grandchildren about.

It does go surprisingly well though with a 140BHP 1.4 Turbo petrol engine. 

In all fairness I had 2 Vauxhalls, both Astra`s. First one as a company Car. The other was my Wife`s "shopper". Current "modern" is a Quasqai, IMV surprisingly agile for a 1200cc in such a relatively Bulky Car, but for her mobility issues it ticks all the boxes. But the Over Burdon of Gizmo`s pee me off. Especially the Stop/start business, pull up at the lights it stops, only a few seconds later off the brake and the engine re start`s. The dash flashes and a message to tell me "you have saved a microgramme of CO-2"!!.The cost of it pissing me off helps the planet!!. Huge deal!. Has anyone thought, when I have the Crash having been distracted by these inane mesages, and it or the heart attack kills me. My cremation will make more CO-2 that I have ever saved!. And then there is the "lane deviation" or whatever. Beep beep beep when it sees white line. THAT got permanently switched OFF on the first day!. You can switch the Stop/Start feature off, but it resets after you remove the key. I have been given a workround involving the bonnet switch which allows the Tech`s to run it for service work, but SWMBO has barred me from disabling it!. (and it IS her car). Now some burk is offering cars which you dont drive, they do it for you, THAT really frightens me, more than half the incompetent cretins already on the road, with the brain capacity of an omeba!.

Pete

This talk of Vauxhall's reminded me that I had 3 as company cars in the late 80s/early 90s, a MK2 Astra then 2 Cavaliers. I must have covered nearly 250,000 miles in them and nothing ever went wrong with them despite being thrashed. 

This was particularly necessary in the first Cavalier which was only a 1.4 & had a boot load of kit to carry. The only way to make reasonable progress was to, as far as possible, not slow down for bends.

One day I was perfecting this technique on a very good B road in Gloucestershire when a dark green Bentley came up behind me very fast. The chase was on and I pulled ahead on the bends but was caught again on the straights.

I then noticed a blue Rover was following close behind the Bentley and when it next caught me I saw it was being driven by a lady, in fact a lady I recognised, a certain princess of the realm. I then realised what the blue Rover was for and thought "I'm stuffed".

I was just approaching the A40 near Burford and as soon as we joined it the Bentley shot past, despite oncoming traffic and continued doing this down the road until out of sight. I feel sorry for the guys in the Rover who had to  follow her whatever 😱 lol