Spitfire softop

Simons3

After doing a quick refurb of the frame (rubdown and paint)  i have refit the unit to the car.

Wound you say this is an acceptable fit?

20210625_132950.thumb.jpg.a873ae4ffa5cafc2835513efc9a916bd.jpg

20210625_133016.thumb.jpg.b983f986bc97b489186fb2362ceb837b.jpg

Also i notice potential damage to in this area both sides

20210625_132746.thumb.jpg.a47c8f2e59ee0442e1b180415adb98be.jpg

I have put a cloth both sides to cushion. Is there supposed to be a rubber seal on the front of the inner frame?

Lastly, is this how the hood sits by the top rear of both doors?

20210625_132543.thumb.jpg.ed7deeafbb742c01b0c87fea3ccf663b.jpg

I guess it would flap about at speed and cause this to happen.

20210625_132553.thumb.jpg.12c83e66d66e57e60edef339d7fea423.jpg

I was wondering if the flap was significant here?

I also bought the two chrome effect plastic cappings years ago, but for the life in me, i cannot see how they attach. Has anyone got a close up picture of these fitted to the car?

Thanks in advance.

Simon

For the flaps:

1. Fold the hood down.
  2. Open the doors.
  3. Put the hood back up.
  4. Close the doors.

And all will become clear :)

For general fit the big question is, hood up/windows up, does the door glass get anywhere near the 'rain flap'?  There should be a long strip of hood inside the glass, then a shorted strip that sits outside the glass on it's bottom edge/forming a gutter above, with the door glass nestling between inner and outter strips.  Like I think ever Spitfire I've ever seen you'll probably have a big strip inside, then a thin strip outside...and about 1" above the top of the glass, so all that lovelly road spray can still get in :(

• 3 weeks later...

Think I need to bring forward my hood replacement plans and was going to have a go myself but from past experience, not really the sort of thing I'm particularly good at. 

Just wondering if anyone else has experience of having one fitted anywhere near Huntingdon, how much should I expect to pay and how long will they need the car?

Also, any personal experience regarding the quality and fit of the club shop tops would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

• Like 1

Club hoods are from Don Hoods, probably the best hoods? I recently bought one, same price from either supplier, so club got my business.

However, they is a delay in delivery as Don Hoods always have a long queue, even in winter mine took a few weeks.But worth waiting for.

Fitting is not difficult or takes very long. (different kettle of fish to herald/vitesse which nearly gave me a nervous breakdown). No idea on fitters, but any competent trimmer should find it an easy job. However, I have yet to fit mine, but after my Scottish trip (about to leave) I will do it on a decent hot/sunny day. Reckon a couple of hours. I bet there are some videos on youtube. You just need contact adhesive and ideally a punch/die for doing the studs. 

2 hours ago, clive said:

Club hoods are from Don Hoods, probably the best hoods? I recently bought one, same price from either supplier, so club got my business.

However, they is a delay in delivery as Don Hoods always have a long queue, even in winter mine took a few weeks.But worth waiting for.

Fitting is not difficult or takes very long. (different kettle of fish to herald/vitesse which nearly gave me a nervous breakdown). No idea on fitters, but any competent trimmer should find it an easy job. However, I have yet to fit mine, but after my Scottish trip (about to leave) I will do it on a decent hot/sunny day. Reckon a couple of hours. I bet there are some videos on youtube. You just need contact adhesive and ideally a punch/die for doing the studs. 

Did it come with all the studs to fit?

I fitted my own but that was about 30 years ago. I don't remember to many problems. As Clive says, get the punch and die kit. Your local areas members may have one you can borrow. A minor point is that my body studs (no, not those!!) were not symmetrical and I only realised when it was to late. One is about 1cm out of true, so measure carefully. Same with the support bars. If fitting vinyl a nice sunny day helps the fit. Don't know about the posher materials.