Herald heater fan

jagnut66

6 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

especially at the pipe which runs under the manifold, and clear it out

All my hoses are off and will be replaced by silicone ones. I will take a look at that pipe under the manifold, it did cross my mind to remove it but I think I'll give it a soak in Plusgas first.

Best wishes,

Mike.

Forgot to say:

When a come back from a run out in the 13/60 I open the heater valve when I get to within 1 or 2 kilometres of home to get the water flowing and leave it open until I next take it out. My theory is that doing this flushes the water through and helps stop build up of muck etc. May just be wishful thinking but it doesn't cost anything 🤑

• Like 1

I stuck a hosepipe in the end near the bulkhead (with a section of rubber hose attached to it) and managed to flush it through, without removing it from the engine.

It ran dark red for some time, then started clearing and was coming out completely clear in the end.

Flushed the whole engine out whilst I was at it and was pleased to find that the engine drain tap wasn't blocked up.

Best wishes,

Mike.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my (new) heater matrix and recored original rad back yesterday and today I fitted them.

The chap at Mansfield Radiators showed me my old heater matrix, it was blocked solid! No wonder no heat was getting through.

The price of previous owners running it with plain water and no anti-freeze.

Anyway, he couldn't find a matrix to match my late Heralds, so he had to make one up. It fitted back into the housing a treat and with the new (ex-smart car) fan fitted in place I hope to notice and improvement come winter.

One thing I did find about the replacement fan motor was that air was blowing out around the housing, as it sat very slightly proud, despite being screwed up tight.

The whole point of choosing this motor was to avoid butchering the housing to make one fit, so I sealed it up with windscreen sealant. 

I couldn't resist adding the 'Smiths' stickers.

Best wishes,

Mike.

Triumph Herald heater refurb 1.JPG

Triumph Herald heater refurb 2.JPG

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jagnut66 said:

I got my (new) heater matrix and recored original rad back yesterday and today I fitted them.

The chap at Mansfield Radiators showed me my old heater matrix, it was blocked solid! No wonder no heat was getting through.

The price of previous owners running it with plain water and no anti-freeze.

Anyway, he couldn't find a matrix to match my late Heralds, so he had to make one up. It fitted back into the housing a treat and with the new (ex-smart car) fan fitted in place I hope to notice and improvement come winter.

One thing I did find about the replacement fan motor was that air was blowing out around the housing, as it sat very slightly proud, despite being screwed up tight.

The whole point of choosing this motor was to avoid butchering the housing to make one fit, so I sealed it up with windscreen sealant. 

I couldn't resist adding the 'Smiths' stickers.

Best wishes,

Mike.

Triumph Herald heater refurb 1.JPG

Triumph Herald heater refurb 2.JPG

Hi just to confirm correct. Is/Was Part No O 130 1C1 113 made by Bosch?.

Pete

1 hour ago, PeteH said:

Hi just to confirm correct. Is/Was Part No O 130 1C1 113 made by Bosch?.

Pete

Hi Pete, 

Yes, it is a Bosch motor but the label was tatty and I thought it much more patriotic to display a 'Smiths' label in a Triumph. Who won the war anyway! 😃

Best wishes,

Mike.

• Like 1