Modern Classics 🤔👀

Mark Seniac

🤔 Walking round a meeting of classics the other week with my eldest son our first since capt pandemic reared its ugly head !!!  He was Delighted too be up close with many different styles and makes of classic cars. I did the usual “put you nose in there and smell that” lol that’s what a proper car smells like !!! Then continued too give him stories of “I used too have one like that and that and that and so on ... lol in my early days they weren’t classics they were just cars you bought cheap ran them round for a bit then sold em to your mate !!!! Anyway walking round we eventually came to Modern Classics ? He was round them like a fly round ####. But on our way home he said something very interesting... “Dad all the cars in your day all look different they all have character very touchy-feely the cars we are driving now all look the same all smell plastic all feel metallic... interesting point... SO my question is ..... 

WHAT would a future Classic car buffs GARAGE look like ? 
considering that our garages all have the mis-shaped tools, bits of this and bits of that. Things we use too repair OUR classics  like rubber tubing odd tubs of screws and washers etc etc... 

On one of my other threads an interesting point was made regarding future classics “too complicated/expensive to work on” 

your thoughts ....🤔

Modern classic garages will look much like ours, just with a better multimeter, a few fault code readers, and a 3D printer.  There are still loads of rubber tubes (actually more) and things like bushes/brakes/etc haven't really changed fundamentally.

Regarding modern classics being too complicated/expensive to work on - not really, you're just more likely to be using electrical skills than rust repair ones.

In fact in the longer term they will be easier to work on.  While with our cars the supply of things like new AC Delco distributors have basically dried up when supplies of your Mark X ECU dry up there will be an after market one that can do more and just needs some wire splicing to swap with the rest of the car being none the wiser.

8 minutes ago, Mjit said:

Modern classic garages will look much like ours, just with a better multimeter, a few fault code readers, and a 3D printer.  There are still loads of rubber tubes (actually more) and things like bushes/brakes/etc haven't really changed fundamentally.

Regarding modern classics being too complicated/expensive to work on - not really, you're just more likely to be using electrical skills than rust repair ones.

In fact in the longer term they will be easier to work on.  While with our cars the supply of things like new AC Delco distributors have basically dried up when supplies of your Mark X ECU dry up there will be an after market one that can do more and just needs some wire splicing to swap with the rest of the car being none the wiser.

Interesting thought mjit thanks.

I just have this vision of them being more like an operating theatre.. rather than a corner cobwebbed shed or garage space full of past projects and ideas ... a mosh mash of spares and tool boxes .... lol

What will cause the problems will be the inability to substitute parts if originals are not available caused by both manufacturers  and more so legislation.

You are not allowed to interfere with emissions systems at all.

You can't do anything that may change the tax generated from the vehicle, so no doing something that may allow you to avoid paying.

Manufacturer now have everything talking to everything else, and that has been an issue for many years.

Want to fit a new stereo? Sorry, your car won't start, or will put up a warning light that is an MOT failure.

You may find the only way you can do anything is a whole new electrical system, which is totally impractical. Perhaps change every single ECU,? 

I am not seeing cheap solutions to manipulate ECU on the market, code readers yes, in some cases tools to do deeper diagnostics, but nothing that allows you to write to the cars, but then you are back into manufacturers and government not allowing you to interfere.

Your only choice will be total originality, and pray the spare parts are available. Things could be worse, we could live in Germany, and have their TUV tests.

Putting in the ecu and wiring to the spitfire, carefully chopping out redundant abs, central locking, ect. Still looked like spaghetti with all the wires i dare not chop out! Big swathes of it cable tied behind the dash just in case.

3 hours ago, thescrapman said:

Manufacturer now have everything talking to everything else, and that has been an issue for many years.

Want to fit a new stereo? Sorry, your car won't start, or will put up a warning light that is an MOT failure.

You may find the only way you can do anything is a whole new electrical system, which is totally impractical.

You won't be allowed to do ANYTHING unless you're qualified personnel for that particular brand of car. Even plugging in the wrong brand of smartphone to the charger will result in limp-home mode until the very closely guarded computer at the official dealership can cancel the warning. All the bolts and screws will have non-standard heads requiring special tools available only to that dealership. 

MOTs will be carried out by the Dealership as only they have all of the diagnostics required for your car, plus they alone can fit any replacement parts required, otherwise the MOT is null and void. Each year at MOT time a warning lamp will illuminate on the dashboard and only a successful pass will allow it to be turned off. This only applies to certain owners as anyone on low income or who claims a medical need for a car will get one free of charge, all servicing and fuel paid for, and replaced for new every three years so won't ever need an MOT. You'll be able to spot anyone in a job as they'll have the old, rusty and dirty cars that they can only afford to drive once a week.

Of course you'll be able to e-mail a guy in Russia who can reset everything remotely for you by wifi, payment in Bitcoin please.

7 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

You won't be allowed to do ANYTHING unless you're qualified personnel for that particular brand of car.

If only that were enough... the massage function on our car has never worked right since we got it 4 years ago. (first world problems). It has been "fixed" 3 times but is still broken.... The panel with everything except the bare essential displays will just decide to not turn on or a while.... again, supposedly fixed but not really...

2 hours ago, DVD3500 said:

displays will just decide to not turn on or a while..

my cactus does a odd delay  with "the module is charging " display for a good few seconds  but only now and then 

its not a regular delay

Pete

1 hour ago, Badwolf said:

You have a massage function. Does Owen Lloyd not do one for Spitfire seats yet, I want one.

It's a French car so it just goes on strike from time to time...

5 hours ago, DVD3500 said:

he massage function on our car has never worked right since we got it 4 years ago.

Standard fit on a GT6 Mk1, along with the air conditioning (not).  Mine also came with the optional extra of a heater, why I always ask myself....

Dick

1 minute ago, Dick Twitchen said:

Mine also came with the optional extra of a heater, why I always ask myself....

All Triumphs have that... it is in front of the engine just behind the headlights... It gives off steam when it feels warm enough...

Let's face it, with Triumphs' it's not necessarily a problem with the heater, it's a problem of getting the heat where you want it.

Passenger on train to steward - I'd like to complain about the heating

Steward - Is it too hot?

Passenger - No

Steward - Is it too cold?

Passenger - No

Steward - You're right, there is something wrong with it.

10 hours ago, thescrapman said:

Have you not been on the various "net" websites?, The workarounds for getting past the MOT tester on the emisions, are legion. I suspect few of them work in practice, but boy do they try!. Many newer test units now plug into the vehicle`s own OBD outlet for the emisions test, and use wifi/bluetooth, would you believe?. sticking the probe up your exhaust is old hat.

(They now leave all that to your proctologist.)

Pete

12 hours ago, thescrapman said:

You can't do anything that may change the tax generated from the vehicle, so no doing something that may allow you to avoid paying.

You may find the only way you can do anything is a whole new electrical system, which is totally impractical. Perhaps change every single ECU,? 

I am not seeing cheap solutions to manipulate ECU on the market, code readers yes, in some cases tools to do deeper diagnostics, but nothing that allows you to write to the cars, but then you are back into manufacturers and government not allowing you to interfere.

I managed to blow up one of the main ECU's which forms part of the fuse box in my land rover before I sold it - I was stripping out some of the stuff I'd put in and managed to show 12v where it shouldn't have gone.

Anyway as you rightly say many ECU's are coded to the car - as was this one - was simple enough to order a new unit with the correct code applied. Impossible to do twice apparently.

As for radios many of them are the fibre optic media hub (The Land Rover in anything other than the basic radio for example) and that is the major issue in that it can't be removed without cocking up lots of other functions.