Gearbox Overdrive removal - Vitesse mk2

Paul H

The gearbox plus overdrive is back , just bolting things back . The solution was jacking up the engine so it was parallel with the gearbox ie much higher than I did before . Thanks Pete Lewis . I didn’t need to butcher the bulkhead or remove the prop . A few tips I picked up on the way , this being my first clutch change.

I removed the passenger door , passenger seat , steering wheel outer . The door removal not essential but made access much easier. Fold back carpet over prop shaft area, cover floor with old carpet .Use a piece of plywood in the cabin as a sledge for the gearbox . Moving the box around is much easier .

The bolts holding the rear support for the overdrive are inaccessible. So made this double cranked spanner which holds the bolt head whilst tightening up from underneath . 

C0601217-985C-4643-9A26-C43329CDAFB9.thumb.jpeg.40bc07a10df6b0ce6dee23cff256e805.jpeg

I bought these from Lidl some time ago . Ideal for lifting the box so it could be manoeuvred . Can’t rate these enough . About £5 each . Makes the job easier for 1 person

BF391FAF-6A9E-433A-B409-AEEA3972FE7E.thumb.jpeg.1865b3079e053f8a3b9bbd0c5b4228ea.jpeg

Each air pad will lift 135 kg to approx 100mm. 
Once the box went home it was a case  of lowering the engine / gearbox into place . Almost forgot a 3ft crowbar to jamb between the propshaft links to finally push the gearbox home . 

If you’ve painted the gearbox cover , remove any paint in the bolt holes (another T shirt ) plus you need a good torch 

Stuff a rag in the gear box cover access to stop dropping nuts or bolts . 

Thanks to all with help and advice 

Paul 

4 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

whats the plate with the long slots  ...the rear mount plate ????  dont recognise those slots 

then thats not a surprise these days 

Pete

Hi Pete , the rear support for the overdrive sits on that plate , which in turn bolts to the main chassis . I removed the plate and the rear support and attached to the gearbox and put back in one piece . The plate is then bolted back . Using this method eliminates the need of the modified spanner 

Paul 

5 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

i guessed that just dont remember it having so much slot adjustment 

Don't think the factory ones do.  Didn't JK / Canley Classics do some? I know they were near impossible to find at one point and then became available again.

Nick

In the past I have removed and refitted the gearbox in a Vitesse 2L Mk1 from within but that had no OD. I did swap out an overdrive box and OD from a Mk2 GT6 which was at the time parked on the edge of the parade square at RAF Uxbridge in 1982. I don't recall any major problems in removing it from inside the cab.

Just put the od solenoid back with the Gearbox in place , just to prove my Mods work . All went fine . Starting the lower bolt was a faff trying to locate the screw hole , started with screwdriver extension and finished off with ring spanner 

04E268F8-8102-4D17-82B6-57316C03706D.thumb.jpeg.9549be9a978d061a90c3fb55cbfcbec8.jpeg

F865433C-343A-4831-919A-CC7BCB2F5A59.thumb.jpeg.0014376b1fd6cdaef632ab15ccef8351.jpeg

Paul 

A58F269E-49FE-490D-A7B2-216E0A92370F.jpeg

1 minute ago, Pete Lewis said:

as we  found it has a single rail hub 1/2nd   fitted so before i leave the country   does the box work ok with all that slop 

Pete

Should be able to road test at the weekend 

Paul 

15 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

as we  found it has a single rail hub 1/2nd   fitted so before i leave the country   does the box work ok with all that slop 

Pete

Hi Pete, could you explain the issue , it will be better than me trying to ! I know there is slop on the single rail hub . This is because it’s the wrong one fitted ? What is the one I have from . I know I need part no 156911, which is no longer available and the solution is to find a second hand one or buy an old Vitesse Mk1 or mk2 ?? box and dismantle. My preferred option is an old box as I would be able to better understanding the gear box workings .

Paul 

3 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Hi Pete, could you explain the issue , it will be better than me trying to ! I know there is slop on the single rail hub . This is because it’s the wrong one fitted ? What is the one I have from . I know I need part no 156911, which is no longer available and the solution is to find a second hand one or buy an old Vitesse Mk1 or mk2 ?? box and dismantle. My preferred option is an old box as I would be able to better understanding the gear box workings .

Paul 

It’s item 11 part 156911 that I need 

6C649219-7B73-4DA2-AE55-397B52559970.png.9d393e41610f148ba614082e86c85398.png

Paul

well im am now in a puzzle  looking at parts lists the hub is the same for 3 rail and single rail as 156911 

now that worries me i have had a box built with mixed inards including incorrect reverse tooth count on the sleeve 

and like youres the 1/2nd hub is a rattling good fit on the mainshaft which doesnt bode well for any synchro action or any other actions .

end float is not being confused here these hubs have like 1/4 synchro tooth rotation on the shaft  yes it all catches up with itself 

but its not right  

Paul we need more homework on this as dont want you looking for some part that wont change the problem 

i am Puzzled ..or just getting old   im sure my experiences is not playing tricks here , there is no design neeed for the hub to have any rotational clearance only up down the shaft end float freedom

Pete 

Update:

Test Drive: All went fine and the box is much more “direct “ now no flopping around . I haven’t fully tested coming down to second at speed properly . At 25 I can drop to second which I couldn’t do before so it’s looking promising . I’ve lost the singing canary so that must be a positive . Only issue I had was engine was a bit sluggish until I realised I hadn’t put back the spark plug lead on no 6 cylinder 😱. She’s singing now . Thanks Pete needs a proper run now to test and bed the new clutch in 

Paul 

8 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

i still cant get my head round the   rattling fit 1/2nd hub i would have bet on my knees the two boxes centre hub was different 

it keeps me awake for 5 minutes at night 

pleased it seems to be working ok  can i   carve  a knotch on the door post ??

Pete

Hi Pete could it be that the 1st:2nd hub on my gearbox is not a 156911 ? 
Paul

thats raises  what the heck is it  from  

i would like to solve this but i dont have a hub left to play with on an old shaft 

you any good with marakas ???

ive had one   youve got one   so who has a clue what 1/2nd hub fits a slightly larger manshaft splining 

so on a std  3 rail it has rotational float 

pete