The Candy Box is for sale!

JohnD

Over on Friends of Triumph in the US, Chuck Gee has announced that he wants to sell the Candy Box!

In case anyone doesn't know, this is the car that Kas Kastner built for John Brophy in 1970, after he had left Triumph USA.   It is without any doubt, the most successful motorsport Vitesse, and is still a potent beast, raced regularly.

But why should I describe it?  Here's Chuck:

Hello all,

It’s time for me to sell the 1971 Trans Am Vitesse you all know and love.  A little history: 
Constructed at a cost of $75,000.00 in factory monies during 1970 this ex-Factory Trans/Am race car is a one off Factory race car from Triumph and British Leyland. Developed under the guidance of West Coast Triumph Racing Development head, Kas Kastner. Kastner wrote the book on Triumph Performance and was later highly instrumental for his heading the impressive Nissan GTP program that won many championships in IMSA.
In an effort to market the Triumph Vitesse in America this British Leyland Engineering Department chassis was shipped to the Kastner/Brophy Racing shop (British Leland's West Coast Competition Arm) in California in 1970 to be converted into the one and only Triumph Factory Trans/Am Race Car. 
Having competed in four races in 1971 with Triumph National Champion, Carl Swanson driving, British Leyland dropped the Vitesse line from it's production. As a result the project was dropped after the 1971 season.
Multi-time SCCA National Champion, Ric Cline acquired the Trans/Am car and competed with it in SCCA Nationals for several years nearly winning the national championship twice in B-Sedan. Cline sold the Vitesse to Arno Frosh of South Carolina, who campaigned the car continually until 1988 in SCCA Nationals. Arno sold the car to Ralph Thomas, who owned car for a number of years and restored it to the original livery.  Ralph sold it to Butch Gilbert and I bought it from Butch’s wife after he passed away.
The Vitesse is highly competitive today, for it sports a 6 cylinder, 2.5 liter with triple 45mm DCOE Webers. It produces 245HP at 7200 RPM. Houseman constructed the 5 speed, dog ring gearbox and it is equipped with a Quaiff Diff. All mechanicals are fresh!
Four wheel dics brakes and four wheel independant suspension, developed by Kastner, make this unbeatable through the turns. It still has it's original wooden dash and door panels. Check out the beautifully hand formed fender arches and fuel fill points. It is masterfully constructed and incredibly solid race car.
Overall the car has never been in a crash and is in very fine condition. It is British Leyland Triumph White, with Porsche Guards Red and Ferrari Chrome Yellow in color. It has it's original design graphics as well as the original SCCA log Book, SVRA/HSR log books and it's original Trans/Am Homologation documents.
I’ve had it for a few years now and have gone through everything. Truly ready to race with just an oil change and maybe some new tires (probably a good idea).  A true one of a kind that gets attention everywhere it goes and acceptance at all major vintage events.  Very competitive in B-Sedan or 2.5l Trans-Am.
Two sets of wheels, some spare bodywork, and a small spares package of miscellaneous items.  I also have the original Kastner-Brophy hydraulic jack used during the Trans-Am season (thanks Alan and Brad)!
Here’s a video my friend Steve Belfer made from the VARA race last November:

Chuck's asking $49,400 (£39,600)

Me, I'd love it!   But it should stay in America!

John

• Like 1