4 pin flasher relay (BOSCH blinkgerber)

A TR7 16V

I've just replaced what looks like it was probably the original flash relay on the Herald 13/60. It was exactly like this one, except it was beaten, battered, and something else alliterative: s-l1600.jpg

The one I replaced it with was a 3 pin one marked X, L and P, which Dr Google helped me sort out, and it works. But the BOSCH blinkgerber I took out was 4 pin - it was wired as 49=X=supply, 49a=L=load, and C=P=repeater. The 4th pin, marked C2, was unconnected.

I see from the Herald diagram that only 3 pins are needed, but wondered if anyone knew what the 4th did in some other application when the unit worked properly?

14 minutes ago, DVD3500 said:

BTW: It says it must be mounted vertically with the connectors pointing down and to not throw it around (?!)

Does any of that apply to the 3-pin Intermotor replacement I put in? It's a bit longer than the Bosch one, so its connectors are close to fouling the fuse (nee regulator) box ones. So I've got it in at about 35 degrees off vertical. There were no instructions in the box, and I wouldn't have read them unless it didn't work anyway.

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

has it had a towbar  so the extra terminal feeds the separate warning lamp  of the trailer  ???

or its for side repeaters 

its not a std fitment 

and  is marked as 2+1 x21watts    that = 3 ??

pete

No sign of a tow bar having been fitted, though I have one (actually two) to fit one day. I wish now that I'd remembered that. Seems the 4th pin is for a "tow bar indicator", when it's running 3 lights at a time, as you point out. But I'm still not clear what it does to whom and with what.

When/if I fit the tow bar, I'll get one of them 3-pin electronic ones that have in, out, and earth, and don't change speed for more bulbs (the one in the Doly does speed up if one blows). I may also want to fit it under the dash on the driver's side where I can hear the damned thing over the engine. Fitting a LED in the dash when I put the tacho in helps not leaving the indicators on, as does rotating the steering shaft so the cam is in the middle of the switch when going straight, and finding that it seems to matter how far in/out the switch is mounted on the column shroud. I'll have to rotate the shaft again when I've had the tracking re-centred, cos it's way off, and the garage can't seem to understand what's needed - or are playing dumb cos they don't want to muck about with the bottom knuckle.

But I just got this one cos I need the car and the BOSCH one went intermittent - seemed to be getting well hot and then not working. 

I asked the wife if the flashers were working and she said yes, no, yes, no, yes...

Yes I know that's old, but so am I.

to hear the flasher units weak click click  get a very cheap buzzer form fleabay ive fitted some to other cars just links to a simple feed in the boot 

think they aimed at motor cycle use but makes a good beeeeeep  beeeep  you cant miss it 

like this  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252651891201?hash=item3ad339ea01:g:VscAAOxy79VRfTIu

Pete

1 hour ago, A TR7 16V said:

Does any of that apply to the 3-pin Intermotor replacement I put in? It's a bit longer than the Bosch one, so its connectors are close to fouling the fuse (nee regulator) box ones. So I've got it in at about 35 degrees off vertical. There were no instructions in the box, and I wouldn't have read them unless it didn't work anyway.

I would have to see a picture of the flasher. I am just translating what the German on the flasher says. (German... flasher... make your "wurst" jokes...)

1 hour ago, DVD3500 said:

I would have to see a picture of the flasher. I am just translating what the German on the flasher says. (German... flasher... make your "wurst" jokes...)

I just do blinking bad ones! But only on and off.

Graham

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

to hear the flasher units weak click click  get a very cheap buzzer form fleabay ive fitted some to other cars just links to a simple feed in the boot 

think they aimed at motor cycle use but makes a good beeeeeep  beeeep  you cant miss it 

like this  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252651891201?hash=item3ad339ea01:g:VscAAOxy79VRfTIu

Pete

I've got something like that for the lights left on alarm, powered off the dash lights and earthed by the door switches. It's a bit loud to use for the flasher. I want something that goes "click, click". Maybe just a piezo, a resistor, and a cap, on the repeater in the dash. Probably need to buy a few though, cos I'll break the first ones.

Graham