Modern Cars: Fat, boring look-alikes.

Unkel Kunkel

9 hours ago, Unkel Kunkel said:

Increasingly, the trend,  like washing machines and dishwashers is for them to be electronically complex and come  with an infinite number of “settings” 

You're right. The manufacturers can do it so they do. A couple of months ago we needed to replace a washing machine, quite willing to pay for a quality make that was efficient electrically & economic with water and quiet. The only real request my wife had was that it had a half load setting like the previous one. Not now, they weigh the contents and determine the time etc. based on it. Good point. Another feature was telling you how long there was left on the cycle. Useful. 

Now having used it for a few months she just uses 2 of the many settings. A hot cotton wash and the 'rapid mixed' wash which takes 1 hour at 40°. No doubt there are other people who need the delicate cool settings etc, we avoid buying 'delicate' clothes 😜

Cars are the same. When I see adverts where heating/cooling, air distribution, radio and so on are all controlled by a touch screen I think do they really think drivers will set or adjust things before they start off? No way. Just look how many use phones while driving.

Then on the other hand there are weird exceptions. On my modern if you have the Navigation system on the radio is also on, you can't switch it off only turn the sound down. The sound for the nav set is independent. 

9 hours ago, Unkel Kunkel said:

Car  computers are a bit “much a do about nothing”   - For example , the  novelty of seeing “ Instantaneous Fuel Consumption ” quickly wears thin.

Such information is of no use to the driver  and it can be dangerously distracting.

That bit I will disagree with, I have managed to improve average fuel consumption by up to 10mpg by careful throttle control using the instantaneous consumption as the gauge.

Modern cars with their fly by wire throttles are very sensitive to positioning and gently easing it will maintain speed but reduce consumption.

6 hours ago, thescrapman said:

That bit I will disagree with, I have managed to improve average fuel consumption by up to 10mpg by careful throttle control using the instantaneous consumption as the gauge.

Modern cars with their fly by wire throttles are very sensitive to positioning and gently easing it will maintain speed but reduce consumption.

And cruise tends to make them worse - unless its flat.

Cruise in my Modern is limited to 100mph - which was slightly irritating going through Germany to Italy in 2019 - 110 was a nice speed. I did drive a Merc E class and that was happy to be in cruise north of 130. In 9th. 🤪

I do know, that the local Pharmacist who parks his car on our close most days, owns the most bloated OBESE "Mini" Estate (BMW) I have ever seen, It makes me think My old Cooper would have vanished into the boot!!.

Anglefire is right about "mass". Even with design paring of weight these things weigh in well over an equivalent "past" model. they have all put weight on, The latest Fiesta derivative is the size of an old Escourt.