Vitesse 1600/6 - Fuel Tank to Carbs

martyn wright

Hi!  My 1966/6 Vitesse has not been on the road since 1985! and only driven 30 miles from a barn, in Totnes to home some 30 miles, in 1997.  It has a Double Tank!  I fitted a New Sender, New Fuel Pipes to the Fuel Pump!  The Fuel Pump has had a New Service Kit!  I have filled the tank with approx 2 gallons of petrol, tried manually priming to no avail! but on turnover of the engine the petrol is not getting to the Pump?  Any Ideas Please??

Double tank? as in twin tanks? or just the later type?

Test the pump with a bit of hose dipped direct into a can of fuel. And see if you can blow fuel through the car (it sounds daft, but disconnect the pipe near/before the pump, then pukker up and see if you can get your mouth around the tank filler, and blow. Fuel should come out the other end. Plan B is try blowing from the front end, you will feel if it is blocked. A footpump may clear a blockage, temporarily at least.

Those 2 tests will narrow down the issue.

one place often fails is the short rubber hose (if the twin tank has this) from the top of the tank it hides up in the boot

goes hard and sucks air 

and  Doug use a length of stiff stimmer string to poke through his pipework 

how are the tanks connected , is there any taps involved or just a balance pipe

is suction just from the primary tank or both  ??

Pete

Hi!  Its the Twin Tank model!  It has had all new Rubber Pipes.  I have just Blown down from the Tanks and the inline filter is now wet and fuel came out below the Fuel Bump!  I will now connect the pipe from a bottle to the pump and see if the fuel pump is sucking up!  Many Thanks

17 minutes ago, martyn wright said:

Hi!  Its the Twin Tank model!  It has had all new Rubber Pipes.  I have just Blown down from the Tanks and the inline filter is now wet and fuel came out below the Fuel Bump!  I will now connect the pipe from a bottle to the pump and see if the fuel pump is sucking up!  Many Thanks

There was no twin tank model! though a few people have modified them over the years. 

Martyn   there is no seperate reserve tank  its a simple curved suction pipe that when you turn the top lever to "reserve" 

all it does is swing the suction tube to a lower level its all the same one tank

its the hose from this device thats unseen and when old is a hopeless fit so the pump sucks air there is no gravity feed from a

herald/vitesse tank as the outlet is on its very top

the pipe to the pump(when not full of old rust ) can syphon at the pump end  so a leak here when cleaning out will stop quickly if you 

use a foot pump/bike pump to blow down the pipework   but detach the hoes at the tank or you blow any rubbish back into the tank

and thinking detach both ends and you can blow in any direction 

Pete

10deg  BTDC on a 1600 static 

and old front pulley dampers can have a silly problem the bond between pulley and the damper ring looses its adhesion and 

the damper ring with the timing marks on moves round so the marks become horendously inaccurate 

but you have to accurtely get No1 at TDC to check the marks actually make sense 

just be aware this happens  ( i have the best Tee shirt for finding that ) 

and JohnD has made a rig for testing the damper is working  

if you find a problem there is no easy fix ( hopefully all is well )

Pete