It's the silly season!

I belive that the 'silly season' is a Fleet Street term for Juy and August, when Parliament isn't sitting and there is little activity at the Stock Exchange, because 'everyone has gone to Wimbledon, Ascot, or grouse shooting etc' and no serious news happens (!!)

Whatever, it's here, now!

"Thread drift" is always a thing on message boards, and why not?     A thread is like a pub converstion and can go anywhere.      But in the pub, you can tune out of the talk on one side when it gets silly, and listen and join in to another that is more interesting.     You can't do that on a board.    You have to join the thread, read the latest post and then scroll back to find where it diverted, because the original subject is completely lost.  The content of many diverted threads recently has been zero, just people joshing and bantering.

May we please have threads that are more focussed on the subject?   Please will the mods pop up now and then and behave like The Colonel?

Meanwhile, for those who like a bit of banter, and stealing an idea from a board not far away, see 

57 minutes ago, JohnD said:

"Thread drift" is always a thing on message boards, and why not?     A thread is like a pub converstion and can go anywhere.      But in the pub, you can tune out of the talk on one side when it gets silly, and listen and join in to another that is more interesting.     You can't do that on a board.    You have to join the thread, read the latest post and then scroll back to find where it diverted, because the original subject is completely lost.  The content of many diverted threads recently has been zero, just people joshing and bantering.

May we please have threads that are more focussed on the subject?   Please will the mods pop up now and then and behave like The Colonel?

Oh dear, an appeal for censorship? :lol:

Doug

I understand where JohnD is coming from, personally I like the banter but some may not. The one thing I would not tolerate is foul language, the occasional asterisk can mask mild blasphemy but four letter words however they be masked are unacceptable. 

Iain 

PS

I've posted.... 

1 hour ago, Iain T said:

I understand where JohnD is coming from, personally I like the banter but some may not. The one thing I would not tolerate is foul language, the occasional asterisk can mask mild blasphemy but four letter words however they be masked are unacceptable. 

Iain 

PS

I've posted.... 

You get some four letter words in the "joke" section Iain that would ruin the joke otherwise. Four letter words can be really funny or down right terrible depending on context. Just my take on the subject. Most of the banter on here is great some is patronising and rude..... that i don't like.

Alf.

• Like 1

Banter is fine, as banter.   Which is why I started the 'post last' thread, which has been a magnet for blather, or banter, elsewhere.   Why not have a banter thread, so all the afficiandos can go there?

But interesting subjects get lost in pages of bollocks - excuse me, should I have asterisked that, Iain? - and I can't be bothered to go though it all and find if there are any pearls left behind.

JOhn

My head here told me and my mate when we were getting a dressing down “I know rules were made to be broken , but NOT with the frequency that you brake them!” Then he put us on 6 months report where we had to get the teachers signature advising how we’d been after each class a right bugger that was.