R9 fuel hose

dougbgt6

My car's been running a bit hesitant and lumpy and there was a recent misfire and black smoke incident. I thought "Time to get Uncle Pete on the case" Sadly Mrs Pete said he wasn't available, although I could've sworn I heard his voice in the background. :blink:

Checked all the sparks, compression, timing and installed new plugs, then off for a test run. Engine just as bad as previously and suddenly it died :angry:

Spark still there. So disconnected the fuel line at the carbs, tugged the primer lever, no fuel! Fuel pump?

There's fuel in the filter just before the pump, so I should take the top off the pump and eyeball the diaphragm?

Took the fuel hose off the front of the pump to get at the screws and for some reason, known only to my subconscious pulled the primer, fuel squirted out!  Pump works! Hose must be blocked?

How am I gonna get home? I wonder if I can blow out whatever's blocked the hose? I Re-attach the hose the other way around thinking reverse flow might work when the original didn't. And, yes it does, but nothing other than fuel comes out. Tried the hose the right way round, it's blocked, wrong way, it isn't. I've got a one way hose!

Got home with the hose reversed and the engine running fine! Could it have been fuel starvation all along?

Examined the hose it says it's R9, but is it? I bought it before there was Barricade, I suspect it's Chinese rubbish! :angry:   And the lesson is: I've got some Barricade on the shelf, I should have installed it when I bought it 3 years ago.

Doug

only you could have a one way Chinese hose or are there more out there

when you get back from AE after slicing it and the fingers open what did you observe( that means find)

its just another thing to put in the memory bank of what the heck problems you wouldnt normally have to dream about 

please she's running well again ,

we need to do a Wallingford get together when  its safe     

and mrs P wouldnt know if im in or out  ( take that as it sounds ) 

Pete