J Type Overdrive, intermitantly, not disengaging

i have seen relays fail with closed contacts  so always live 

but J type irregular operation with a mind of its own has been the 

0 rings on the spool piston inside the solenoid

unscrew the sol remove the 10mm circlip from its end and shake out the piston/plunger it must be free 

if you shake the sol, it should clatter about inside freely 

0 rings avialable from various suppliers 

needs a thin 1" af spanner to  loosen the sol.  do not use grips on the body it can all separate 

Pete

Cheers Pete. I had overdrive issues about 7 years ago. Replaced all the solonoid O rings and also the pressure relief valve O rings (very fiddly job) and put a new filter in it.

Mike Papworth rebuilt G.B a short time after that and replaced the two O rings, just inside the O.D unit, when it's seperated from the G.B.

I hoped all these O rings would still be okay, as car used regularly?.

So. I thought to replace the relay first, as easy, then solonoid, then pressure relief valve (as maybe sticks, holding pressure?) and also the filter at the same time (though oil still clean and not much fine swarf on the magnetic filler plug.

Does that sound an ok plan.

Cheers, Dave

Edited by daverclasper

sounds a progressive plan    dont change the solenoid  just re 0 ring the insides

i guess you have checked gearbox oil levels ??? and is your OD switch on the gear lever or column stalk 

wires down the gearstick are a very common short./bridged nightmare of wear and tear you cant see 

Pete