Creaky steering

sounds like bush creak (wasnt that a aussie film ) 

the rack appears to be on poly bushes  they should have a paste lubricant to stop the creaks 

some kits come with it some dont 

but you can see the mount move a small ammount under load a squirt of soft soap may help  worth a try 

Im sure thats all you are hearing 

Pete

8 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

sounds like bush creak (wasnt that a aussie film ) 

the rack appears to be on poly bushes  they should have a paste lubricant to stop the creaks 

some kits come with it some dont 

but you can see the mount move a small ammount under load a squirt of soft soap may help  worth a try 

Im sure thats all you are hearing 

Pete

Ok, thanks, I will give it a try 👍

I agree, it does appear to be the bushes and by looking closely at the video clip I can see a little movement.

I loosened the u- clamp to aid lubrication and to try and close up the gap, but the bush then tried to "escape" and the gap got a lot wider. I had to use a disk pad spreader in reverse to force the clamp back again. 

Creak seems to have gone but I noticed the rack mounting isn't as shown in the diagram in the Haynes manual.

In the attached diagram, are the bushes resting directly on the chassis and is it showing the locating plates (3) as being below the chassis?

On my car they appear to be upside down and between the bushes and the chassis 

IMG_20210708_171326_248.jpg

19 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

i thought  they go under the chassis to reinforce the nuting faces 

but  ive not looked in the proper manual 

Pete

That would make sense. I will have to make some time to investigate more thoroughly I think.

14 minutes ago, derekskill said:

The plates definitely go underneath the chassis, hope this helps.

Derek.

Yes thanks, confirms what I thought the diagram was telling me. I need to check that there's not another pair underneath as well.

If not, any thoughts about if it requires urgent attention?

probably introduced due to fatigue in the chassis mounts  so   Nah doesnt matter   just dont use the steering ha 

its obviously been like it for a good while so its an as and when job 

then do examine the chassis brkt  holes for cracks bear in mind poly bushes transmit more loading into the chassis 

Pete

32 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

probably introduced due to fatigue in the chassis mounts  so   Nah doesnt matter   just dont use the steering ha 

its obviously been like it for a good while so its an as and when job 

then do examine the chassis brkt  holes for cracks bear in mind poly bushes transmit more loading into the chassis 

Pete

Think I will add it to the list of things to be looked at over the Winter then 🤔