Replacement panels for Spitfire MKIV/1500 bonnet

Hi there.

I've got a MKIV/1500 bonnet which is in pretty good condition apart from, inevitably, around the edges.

I want to get some replacement panels from Rimmers but I don't know which sections to buy. 

Can any of you help?

Thanks in advance

David

IMG_5291 copy.jpg

IMG_5290 copy.jpg

IMG_5289 copy.jpg

IMG_5288 copy.jpg

Depends on where your time/skill/budget circles overlap.

While you COULD save them (with enough time and skill) I have a feeling you're going to find a lot of body filler when you start attaching the existing wings so would probably just go straight to new wing pressings.  It's harder/due to lazyness people are less likely to bodge the wheel arch tubs so other than fabricating some new outer lips, which aren't the most complicated shape/a visible area, I think you'll get away with those.

David - On past experience, I would suggest that you strip back the paint to check on the extent of the rust, filler and other damage. As Mjit says, there could be a lot of filler in there hiding things that you need to sort. It may only be surface rust under blistered paint, but you need to make sure. Only when you can see the whole job can you decide which repair panels you need. There is no point in trying to fit new panels to old sections that are to far gone. They won't hold and it is false economy. There is a restoration thread by hardhatharry which covers the fitting of various bonnet panels. If I can find it, I will edit this post with the link. There are others who have repaired bonnets as well. Most of the repair sections are shown on the parts lists of all the usual suppliers.

Edit..

Found the thread. Bonnet details are on page 2, the the whole thread is a good read

https://forum.tssc.org.uk/topic/6651-1976-spitfire-1500/page/2/

Edited by Badwolf
Link added

9 hours ago, Badwolf said:

David - On past experience, I would suggest that you strip back the paint to check on the extent of the rust, filler and other damage. As Mjit says, there could be a lot of filler in there hiding things that you need to sort. It may only be surface rust under blistered paint, but you need to make sure. Only when you can see the whole job can you decide which repair panels you need. There is no point in trying to fit new panels to old sections that are to far gone. They won't hold and it is false economy. There is a restoration thread by hardhatharry which covers the fitting of various bonnet panels. If I can find it, I will edit this post with the link. There are others who have repaired bonnets as well. Most of the repair sections are shown on the parts lists of all the usual suppliers.

Edit..

Found the thread. Bonnet details are on page 2, the the whole thread is a good read

https://forum.tssc.org.uk/topic/6651-1976-spitfire-1500/page/2/

Thanks so much!

Dvid, are you doing teh welding yourself? if so how experienced are you?

I fully expect you will need lower wings. If you are paying somebody to do the work, it is worth asking them if they wish to repair or replace the outer "inner" arches, bearing in mind that new ones may not be a perfect fit. 

And there are other suppliers of panels out there. Buy the best you can, I think the motor heritage panels are best, and at least one alternative. But with panels and most other parts, look at Canley Classics, James Paddocks, Moss and especially Fitchetts (they are very old fashioned, you may well have to ring them to get prices etc but they actually make many of the panels, and are a very good company to by from despite being a bit last centuary ) 

Thanks Clive. I was going to get the work done by a trusted garage I've used over the years. Looking at the bonnet and various websites, I think I'll just buy two new wings and have them welded in. The rest of the bonnet is completely rust-free, which is amazing considering its age!