Engine rebuild

Craig

I used to buy rebuild kits from Jigsaw, and I think that  they used the same supplier as Rimmer's.    The content is generic, you may get few extra bits that are for different models, but no matter.  Specify a Payen head gasket!

Craig,

I've used Rimmers kits in the past and no quality issues, yet! They are however reassuringly expensive, and as John says there will be bits you don't need, which can be confusing, or worrying! Rimmersr saving grace is stuff usually arrives next day, even in these times. Other, cheaper, suppliers are available, Canley Classics, James Paddock. I think they all have the same suppliers. And yes, Payen head gasket!

Doug

5 hours ago, JohnD said:

I used to buy rebuild kits from Jigsaw, and I think that  they used the same supplier as Rimmer's.    The content is generic, you may get few extra bits that are for different models, but no matter.  Specify a Payen head gasket!

I thought there were some recent issues with the new Payen Head Gaskets?

I managed to source a Head & Bottom end N.O.S. Payen Gasket sets off a guy called Dave Kingerley who deals in Classic car parts, here's a link:-

https://www.obsoletecarspares.co.uk/contact.htm 

Here you go John

https://www.clubtriumph.co.uk/forums/topic/1206-major-coolant-leak-after-replacing-head-and-head-gasket-help/?do=findComment&comment=8127

Although reading the article the guy may have used the wrong type of Gasket!

Someone else mentions problems with the 6 Cylinder Gaskets, although I'm sure I've read something about 1500 Spitfire Payen Head gaskets too, it may have been on a Facebook post though? 

Sounds like Hearsay then with the Modern Payen gaskets, I must admit I've never had any problems in the past with them, but have only rebuilt a couple of Triumph 6 engines with assistance.

Dave Kingerley is certainly worth a call, he may even be able to help with N.O.S. bearings, but his main business is Braking/steering/suspension components?

Good luck with the build

Gary 

in reality there are very few places actually manufacturing the parts so they are likely to be the same from any source. I would be tempted to talk to whoever is going to do the machining as they may be a good source of parts and of course may charge less for the work if they also sell the parts.