Speedo experts please

Steve P

Whilst out in my Herald 13/60 yesterday i noticed something. It has a single rail O/D box,when the new engine went in it had a new cable + angle drive.

The speedo needle is much steadier than before and is accurate,however although the trip mileage turns as normal,the overall mileage does not move at all.

Before i take it apart and get a box of bits flying everywhere,anyone know what might do this?.

I think i have a spare in the shed but would like to keep the original one in the car.

Steve 

the trip and oddometer are prompted by a small pawl and lever  the lever pivot grease goes hard and the thing stalls 

remove the glass ( often stuck with degraded rubber ring ) maybe prise the rim lugs a bit to free it ,

remove two screws in the back 

never disturb the needle  with the unit out of its case you will see the pawl that prods the oddo reels  attached to a small gear driven off a worm on the main spindle 

ive seen thess worm gears come loose  but if the trip works it wont be anything disasterous 

a small clean and dab of lube will work wonders try to oil the main spindle but dont over oil onto the alloy disc or it will go gooey and start you off with false readings 

so its all pretty easy 

Pete

• 1 month later...

Update:

Took it apart,Pete was right about the degraded seal,jeez,it was like tar.

Not sure what i was looking at but the lever and rocker thing it was attached to didn`t move very freely,cleaned it with a squirt of brake cleaner and some silicone lube and put it back together,

Odometer now seems to work normally,hoorah.As i drove i noticed the fuel gauge was at max..3/4 of a tank before,and the temp gauge went up to just before the red.

Back to my garage,found the earth loop had pinged off the back stud before i put the knurled round nut on.Refitted and back to normal,Thanks Pete.

Steve

On 12/07/2021 at 16:50, Steve P said:

however although the trip mileage turns as normal,the overall mileage does not move at all.

I have the opposite problem, maybe because I'm left handed as my wife would say, the total works fine but only the 1/10 on the trip goes round, it doesn't move on the units or others. I would like it to work but am too cowardly to take it apart, it could be the same cause or a missing tooth I guess.

Well done to you for having a go, and a success!

59 minutes ago, Chris A said:

it could be the same cause or a missing tooth I guess.

If it's the trip one then it's worth giving the reset knob a few turns. The problem may be that the reset mechanism is partially engaged, disconnecting the linkage between digits, and operating it may just pop it back.

42 minutes ago, NonMember said:

If it's the trip one then it's worth giving the reset knob a few turns. The problem may be that the reset mechanism is partially engaged, disconnecting the linkage between digits, and operating it may just pop it back.

I've tried that several times. Both directions. Pushing the reset knob further in & pulling it out. No joy

Not 100% sure Chris but i would guess it would be the same issue,just a different bit stuck,Pete will confirm or tell me i am dumb.

See the pic below,the plastic arm operated by a Yellow cog on the other side was not rocking,didn`t take anything apart,but just brake cleaner and then silicone spray and free it up.Just don`t gorilla the assembly while it`s out of the case.

Steve

Speedo.jpg

its the small clip that holds the white pawl in place is where it goes stiff and the pawl fails to nudge the rolls

do make sure the worm is turning the small gear and the eccentric peg is trying to prod the white pawl

ive seen the worm loose on the drive and then  youre stuffed its off to a repairer ( ie the shaft will turn but the worm is  dead

long live the worm  ha !

pete