Poor Quality Parts "Again"

68vitesse

Tried to do a couple of jobs on my MK1 Vitesse today as it is raining.

Change steering column bushes, MOT advisory, bush so tight steering column pushes out inner plastic bush.

Rear inner drive shaft grease seal forced out of trunnion when greasing bearing after rebuild, not in the wrong way. Had a spare which works fine, only difference I can see is that the good one has makers stamps the bad one is unmarked.

These parts came from different but major Triumph part suppliers and I have spoken to both of them. The one who supplied the column bushes suggested I buy their heavy duty ones at about five times the price.

I now have a Vitesse I can not drive until I can get some bushes which are correct.

Regards

Paul 

Tried to do a couple of jobs on my MK1 Vitesse today as it is raining.

Change steering column bushes, MOT advisory, bush so tight steering column pushes out inner plastic bush.

Rear inner drive shaft grease seal forced out of trunnion when greasing bearing after rebuild, not in the wrong way. Had a spare which works fine, only difference I can see is that the good one has makers stamps the bad one is unmarked.

These parts came from different but major Triumph part suppliers and I have spoken to both of them. The one who supplied the column bushes suggested I buy their heavy duty ones at about five times the price.

I now have a Vitesse I can not drive until I can get some bushes which are correct.

Regards

Paul 

Paul I can really sympathise with your situation. I and I'm sure countless others have and are continuing to suffer in the same way. Why are so many replacement parts absolute rubbish and in many cases just not fit for purpose. 

Never had a problem with column bushes , so ...pass

a thought on the trunion seal, there should be a escape hole through the back plate ,for any leak/eccess has this got blocked somehow, ? As there is a seal at both ends there, s a possibity you could hydraulic

a seal out of its bore, the book says 4 pumps only,

that then depends on what triumph ment by a ,

'Pump'

Pete

No need to quiz about which supplier but for what it is worth, from my hard won and paid for experience, I now tend top source from those people who actually do work on cars (eg Jigsaw, Canley Classic) working on the principle I may a little bit more but they will be able to answer the 'what the .....' question should something not live up to expectation.  Similarly, the Club shop offers a similar service and if all anybody does, not saying you did, buys on price then caveat emptor; it is probably cheaper for a reason.  'Major Triumph parts supplier' may not mean the same as a 'quality....'. 

Dick  

By inner seal l mean the one nearest the diff, I always pump grease in till it flows out through the inner seal where the stone flinger is. Always understood inner seal was to stop muck getting in and to let grease out so that the bearing has fresh grease. Have now sourced some column bearings which are a good fit on the shaft so hope to fit tomorrow as nolonger involved with that four letter word work, at least not the kind that attracts wages.

Regards

Paul

Thanks for sharing the information Paul. Unfortunately I think we all have experience of poor quality parts. One of the best things with this and other forums is that we can share the information, and learn from each other. Keep posting! Kevin just added a few new sections, maybe "Part and supplier quality" could be a new section? It is also important to include information about the opposite, the few times we buy something with excellent quality! And let the suppliers know that we mention them here if they sell any crap to us...

Roger.

maybe "Part and supplier quality" could be a new section? 

I know that ‘name and shame’ sections of forums have been tried before, with all sorts of legal problems… how do we know that a buyer didn’t incorrectly fit a part, or use incorrect tooIs? Is he a trained mechanic or technician? It’s a legal minefield, any solicitor can have a field day with it, and one which the TSSC will no doubt be eager to avoid. I know we all mean well in trying to help others avoid pitfalls, but publicly naming a supplier on an Internet forum and making allegations can incur enormous legal costs as well as hefty punishments… so be careful!

I don't think there are any issues with saying a supplier is good, or certain parts are excellent fit etc. 

I think there are issues with naming and shaming. That can be avoided by asking for a recommended supplier of a given part. 

I suspect a comment such as "avoid the cheapo black shock absorbers" is OK too, as no supplier is mentioned. Bit like saying don't buy bruised apples! 

PM's work well for warning people, I have done that a few times when a certain notorious "supplier" is mentioned. 

New to TSSC  and this forum but have had my Standard 8 for several years now and experienced similar problems with reproduction parts. I try to buy new old stock parts when ever I find them, working on the principle that I'll need them one day.

With the Vitesse I have only used Canley Classics for mechanical parts so far and had excellent results, particularly pleased with their SS not quite standard exhaust system.

One explanation for poorly performing replacement parts, I recently had a conversation with a chap who imports and supplies parts for classic motorcycles, he has them made in China and says that the quality of materials and workmanship is fine but that there can be problems if they are given old parts to work from rather than original or accurate drawings as they won't know what the proper dimensions and clearances are. 

Colin,

I guess you are right about the legal problems. I think it is sad that our legal systems in Europe tends to get more and more “Americanized”. Everybody sue everybody, and you might get lucky and cash in 80 million quid if you are lucky enough to burn your lips on a cup of coffee that is 3 degrees warmer than specified at McDonalds. Not to mention how complicated it has become to arrange a rally or meeting with all the forms and legal requirements to consider when planning the route here on this or other forums. One can wonder if it is progress or not…