AC fuel pump valve replacement

johny

Ive just replaced the valves in the original AC fuel pump from my Mk1 Vit. Not a bad job and the difference in the pump operation is night and day. I had to file away the 6 stamp marks that lock in each valve (easy as its alloy) and one then came out very easily as there was access to its reverse side. The other however is harder to get out with levering the only way to do it which of course destroys the valve and it youre not careful marks the alloy body.... It eventually shifted and theres even a paper gasket under each valve! I removed these as its overkill because the new valves tap in very snuggly and, for the same reason, I didnt make new punch marks to hold them in either.

Job done!

13 hours ago, johny said:

Ive just replaced the valves in the original AC fuel pump from my Mk1 Vit. Not a bad job and the difference in the pump operation is night and day. I had to file away the 6 stamp marks that lock in each valve (easy as its alloy) and one then came out very easily as there was access to its reverse side. The other however is harder to get out with levering the only way to do it which of course destroys the valve and it youre not careful marks the alloy body.... It eventually shifted and theres even a paper gasket under each valve! I removed these as its overkill because the new valves tap in very snuggly and, for the same reason, I didnt make new punch marks to hold them in either.

Job done!

You MUST retain the valves somehow.

I have a repro AC pump on my TR4A and after quite a few miles a valve dropped out - the car stopped.

Easy enough to pop back in but it came out again after only a 1000 miles or so.

I resorted to fitting a plate over the valves held in with an M3 screw,

The push fit will not withstand the continuous vibration.

Roger

Maybe the holes for the valves are slightly larger on a repro than original because my valves had to be tapped quite firmly into place with a tube of the right diameter and wont be going anywhere. The fit is that good its why I didnt bother with a gasket either...

Well you shamed me into rebuilding my Vitesse Mk2 original AC mech fuel pump, I'd brought an NOS reco kit several years ago, but because of ongoing problems with priming it and a new aftermarket one I brought to replace it, I went electrical (Facet) with pump in the boot .

I always wanted the mech unit as a spare, so I bit the bullet and started the rebuild of the original AC pump. The diaphragm was easy, BUT replacing the valves what a B***r that is, there a very tight fit and peened in the suction valve wasn't to hard to remove but wrecked in the process, but the delivery valve had no access to push it out, I used the Dremel with a metal cutter to remove the peen's then tried levering the old one out, NBG, so I had to drill a series of small holes near the outside of the valve outer dia to relieve the grip and collapse the outer steel casing inwards then lever out, thinking all the time this will bugger it! Fortunately there was no damage to the valve seat and both new valves were pushed in using a 1/2in AF long socket onto the new thin gaskets, which I held in place and to help seal on the the valve recess's with a thin layer of locktite.

As said earlier there is no worry about the valves coming loose it took a fair pressure to seat them in their seats, no peening is necessary. I can definitely say the new valves operate and seal far better than the 50+ year old ones.

When the weather warms up from the current 11 to 14C temps were getting I'll fit it in the car and see if it primes up OK.

Re the electric Facet its the small cube unit & I think a bit lite on for a 6 potter 2 litre engine, I have an ECCO (SU alternative) which Tony Hart sells for the Stag so I think I'll upgrade to that. it looks far better to do the job!  The ECCO came off a friends Stag when he upsized the engine from the Stags 3 litre to a Leyland Aus P76 4.4litre V8, which is mated to a Toyota Supra 5 speed box, the car goes very well indeed. The Leyland V8 was what Leyland Aus in the day offered as a warranty replacement for the troublesome Stags 3 litre engine.

Hi!  I had a major problem getting the new valves in!  It still wasnt pushing the petrol thro enough.  So I went on ebay to try and find a second hand one or NEW if possible???  I found 2 x used, then keyed in "fuelpump" (not leaving a gap in between the words" by mistake and found a Brand New (Still in the wrapper) old stock, with a "make an offer price of £24 plus postage" So I did and got the Pump for £17.50!!  It turned up so I checked the internals and it even had a AC Stamped Diaphram.  All spanking new.  Well chuffed!

Recently bought a pump kit of eBay, a recognised Triumph part supplier, as advertised as compatible with 10% ethanol. The diaphragm holes not a good match so sent photograph to supplier, below is a copy of an email just received.

Good to see a supplier concerned about the quality off their product.

Regards

Paul

"Just an update on this product. We have made the manufacturer aware of the problems with the accuracy of the diaphragm and they are now doing tests at their end with an original AC pump. In light of this I think there will not be an immediate satisfactory resolution to this issue, so I have sent you a complete refund for now.

My apologies for not being able to provide a replacement kit and for the moment we have withdrawn this product from sale across the board for all models. Unfortunately it does seem some companies do their product research and development in real time and mark success by not having any returns which I find incredibly frustrating and foolhardy!"

On 18/07/2021 at 10:07, johny said:

The fit is that good its why I didnt bother with a gasket either...

What is real tight at 15 - 20C may be rather less tight when the pump body is warmed to 60C……

Just saying….

Pleasing to hear that the new valves bring an obvious improvement. I wonder how many cars there out there with vapour lock issues may far worse by marginal valves…..

Nick

On 22/07/2021 at 11:52, Nick Jones said:

I wonder how many cars there out there with vapour lock issues may far worse by marginal valves…..

A valid point Nick, but my GT6 vapour locked with a rebuilt original pump.

Now replaced with an electric Huco sucker.

Ian