Stiff steering

Hi all.

I have actually finished the GT6 rebuild (4 years…) and it’s running nicely - after a bit of de-bugging etc..but…the steering is really quite stiff and I’m not on top of this yet,so,any ideas?
I replaced all the suspension bushes, trunnions and ball joints and new bushes in the steering column.

tyre pressures are ok.

where do I look first?92E9708D-DE87-43BC-B5A8-25EEE1A1DCFE.jpeg.4d6f5518277984ffe03674500d78a549.jpeg

where to start   is this parking effort or on road its dull/dead feel 

whats it like jacked up ??

excess damping on the rack is an easy start job  slacken the big nut  a little does this help   if so add a shim  and retighten

seized UJ  ??

low  tyre pressures    dont use book pressures most add up to 6 psi with modern tyres.

have you checked the tracking ??

pete

yes got that tee shirt from a reputable supplier who decided both were the same  !!!!!!!!

the 6 pot rack should have a small groove in the input splines to identify the smaller pinion tooth count 

its worth a simple tape measure that the trackrods are equal lengths from the back stop to the TRE  (ie feel thro the gaitor  dont start removing any.)

or toe in on rturns will be all over  the place  as the track rods are not central to the  rack 

all these small but important suggestions above    can add up to a problem , 

Pete

Thanks for all replies!

The steering wasn’t as stiff before the rebuild so it’s got to be something I’ve done…

steering is heavy both parking and driving

So, tyre pressures are good (28 all round on 155’s)

tracking has been checked and adjusted

steering wheel is 13”…!!

I replaced the trunnions and have since rechecked them - not done up too tight

I’ll check the damper,  Pete but beginning to think it could be the bushes in the column? I replaced them and they are a really tight fit?

32 minutes ago, petegardner_901 said:

Thanks for all replies!

The steering wasn’t as stiff before the rebuild so it’s got to be something I’ve done…

steering is heavy both parking and driving

So, tyre pressures are good (28 all round on 155’s)

tracking has been checked and adjusted

steering wheel is 13”…!!

I replaced the trunnions and have since rechecked them - not done up too tight

I’ll check the damper,  Pete but beginning to think it could be the bushes in the column? I replaced them and they are a really tight fit?

Have you jacked the front up? That would be my first check. If still stiff, disconnect the TREs from the uprights. It will narrow the issue down. If still stiff, disconnect the rack from the column.

• 3 weeks later...

This morning the two new steering bushes arrived for my GT6 from Rimmers. I went for the old style rubber bush as the newer poly version is out of stock.

One fitted perfectly onto the shaft but the other felt much too tight and simply getting the shaft to slide into it required a huge amount of force. As soon as I fitted and turned the steering wheel it just ripped off the rubber locating nubs and now the entire bush is simply rotating in the outer casing. 

If the locating nubs had not ripped off the steering would have been mightly stiff. It's fine now but totally useless as the rubber will probably last 100 miles before it is completely shot!

I've requested a replacement form Rimmers but it looks as if this weekends car show will be a no-show. 🙁

Richard

Hi Richard,

I fitted uprated (go-faster) bushes in my TR4a. Three times the price of standard bushes. It was difficult to insert the inner steering shaft.

Trying to turn the wheel was a serious effort. In the end I used an expanding reamer to take off any high spots.

Roger

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

Hi Richard,

I fitted uprated (go-faster) bushes in my TR4a. Three times the price of standard bushes. It was difficult to insert the inner steering shaft.

Trying to turn the wheel was a serious effort. In the end I used an expanding reamer to take off any high spots.

Roger

Thanks Roger

I don't have a reamer but if the new one that is now being sent is as tight as the ruined one, I will definitely find a way to increase the internal diameter before fitting it.

Richard

1 hour ago, RichardS said:

Thanks Roger

I don't have a reamer but if the new one that is now being sent is as tight as the ruined one, I will definitely find a way to increase the internal diameter before fitting it.

Richard

Hi Richard,

if your bushes are tight and you want to borrow mine I will send it to you.  I will be passing through Evesham on Friday and Sunday and will be at the TRR/TSSC/MG bash at Malvern

Roger

13 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Richard,

if your bushes are tight and you want to borrow mine I will send it to you.  I will be passing through Evesham on Friday and Sunday and will be at the TRR/TSSC/MG bash at Malvern

Roger

That's very kind of you, Roger. I'm hoping that the replacement from Rimmers will arrive tomorrow and that this one will be the correct size but I'll let you know whether it's going to fit as soon as it arrives. I'll be in contact.

Thanks

Richard

Just to confirm that the service from Rimmers was excellent and the replacement steering bush arrived first thing yesterday morning. It fitted perfectly and the car is now back on the road and I will be taking her to a local car show this afternoon.

Richard